CV in French and also a motivation letter in French

< Previous | Next >

ash_dav03

Banned
From India
Here is my phrase

I wish to inform you that a require your CV in French and also a motivation letter in French

Can I say ‘CV in French and also a motivation letter in French

• cropje_jnr

English - Australia
    The "that a require" part doesn't make sense. Is there a typo there somewhere?

Perhaps: "I wish to inform you that you will be required to submit in French both your CV and a motivation letter".

sdgraham

USA English
    I know that "I wish to inform you" is part of the flowery language that infests much business writing, but it's redundant. If you send a letter or e-mail message, you are already informing a person and you're not just wishing.

I don't recall ever hearing "motivation letter," although I reviewed hundreds of employment applications prior to retirement.

sdgraham

USA English
    I suppose that goes for letter of motivation as well. Otherwise, you'd have mentioned it (?)
    Yes. In the U.S. we use "resumé" (with or without the accent) rather than "CV" (except, for some reason, in the field of medicine, I believe).

A resumé normally includes a statement about an individuals special abilitiies and aspirations.

LV4-26

Interesting. But then, is it the same statement used for all applications?
    Simply put, a French (only French?) "letter of motivation" explains (with a varying dose of hypocrisy) why you think you're made for this specific job and why you think this job is made for you. :)

sdgraham

USA English
    Interesting. But then, is it the same statement used for all applications?
    Simply put, a French (only French?) "letter of motivation" explains (with a varying dose of hypocrisy) why you think you're made for this specific job and why you think this job is made for you. :)
    Applications vary, but generally that's a thought that the prospective employer wants answered, perhaps only in an interview. It's just the term that sounds funny.

JamesM

In the U.S. we are often asked to submit a cover letter with our resumé that sounds very much like the "letter of motivation." In fact, having gone through this process recently, I can confidently say that some employers will not accept a resumé without that letter.

I do not know if it is still true, but a few decades ago there was a distinct difference between a resumé and a CV. The CV was considerably longer and covered areas in depth that are usually only mentioned in a resumé. As I said, though, this may have changed over the years.

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >