Cwtch

Distance

English - UK, Welsh - Southern dialect
Term: (A word or expression you have seen in writing)
Cwtch

Your definition or explanation:
A synonym to 'hug', 'cuddle'. Primarily (and probably solely) used in Welsh English and by Welsh people. Believed to come form the Welsh word 'cwts' meaning 'hug' or 'cuddle'.

Example: (An example of the term in use)
'Can I have a cwtch?'

One or more places you have seen the term: (Please give URLs/links to web pages, or a full description of a print publication.)
BBC article on the word.
News article on its entry into the Oxford English dictionary.
Entry on the Oxford English dictionary website
Entry on Wikitionary

Have you looked for this term or meaning in dictionaries, and not found it? Yes __X__ No ___

• analeeh

English - UK
    Southern Welsh English (Wenglish) only. Not Welsh.
    It's spread throughout Welsh English in the last ten or fifteen years. We used to use it up north when I was a teenager. It's also often used in Welsh: cwtsho (as a verb) and cwtsh.

Welsh_Sion

Welsh - Northern
    GPC does not recognise it and neither do I as a native speaker of Gwyndodeg. It may be prevalent in the spoken language in other areas, but it has no official sanction as a 'proper' Welsh word. And spelt with the <-tch> is obviously not following traditional Welsh patterns, either.

analeeh

English - UK
    You're welcome to recognise whatever you want as a 'proper' or 'not proper' Welsh word, but the fact is that it is definitely used. There's even a novel by that title. And the fact that we don't have a good way of writing the <tsh> sound doesn't stop people from saying tships or watsh.

Tegs

Mód ar líne
    English (Ireland)
    Not Welsh.

I'd disagree with you in that I've heard it a lot in southern Welsh. I'm surprised to see that the meaning "hug" isn't in GPC though, either for the noun or for the verb (Geiriadur Prifysgol Cymru). I wonder why. (And I'm now curious about where that meaning came from.)

The "ch" spelling makes sense in English (it matches chilli and chime etc) but it is odd for a Welsh speaker. Comedian starts to spell out the big 'Cwtsh' debate | West Wales Chronicle : News for Llanelli, Carmarthenshire, Pembrokeshire, Ceredigion, Swansea and Beyond

My northern friends don't use this word, they use "hyg".