cyberselves

Huda

arabic-Egypt
Would anyone please help me translate this word in the following context? This text is excerpted from Digital Sociology which is edited by Kate Orton-Johnson and Nick Prior:
As sociologists we see exciting and important opportunities for the discipline to contribute to a growing and diverse range of empirical and theoretical work that seeks to map these changes. From cyberselves to online communities, from media war to networked inequalities, from culture to social structure, sociology and our sociological imaginations are confronted by new digital landscapes.
My suggestion is: الذوات عبر الانترنت but I think it is not appropriate.
Thanks in advance.

• Huda

arabic-Egypt
    Maybe الأنا الأخرى عبر الانترنت ?
    I don't think so. I found this definition in Wordnik: An alternate self on the Internet or in cyberspace; an online alter-ego.
    I log on as Sblood, which is short for Sweetblood, my cyberself.
    Maybe: الهويات البديلة للأشخاص في شبكة الإنترنت

jack_1313

English - Australian
    الهوية الافتراضية or الهوية الإلكترونية is a reasonable approximation, but I'm not sure its accurate enough as an "identity" and a "self" are not necessarily the same either in common parlance or in sociology (though I'm not really the right person to try to explain the difference). "Online identity" is a term already in wide use, but a quick skim of the sociological literature reveals that there is indeed a discussion about a "self" emerging online. Since this is scientific jargon in an emerging field, why not opt for a more literal translation, namely الذوات?

As for "cyber", I've seen the following terms in use: افتراضي, تخيلي, سيبراني. I feel that the two of Arabic origin would not be clear enough by themselves in this context, so I would consider adding على الإنترنت.

Huda

arabic-Egypt
    As for "cyber", I've seen the following terms in use: افتراضي, تخيلي, سيبراني. I feel that the two of Arabic origin would not be clear enough by themselves in this context, so I would consider adding على الإنترنت.
    You mean الذوات على الانترنت؟

jack_1313

English - Australian
    I meant something like الذوات الافتراضية على الإنترنت (or just الذوات السيبرانية if you feel that سيبراني is commonly understood).

Looking at your text again, I see that it does, in fact, pertain specifically to digital matters, so I suppose افتراضي by itself could be clear enough. My concern was just that the word's base meaning is "hypothetical", so we need to ensure that it's clear to the reader that we mean its secondary meaning "virtual", either from the context or because we've added an explanatory phrase like على الإنترنت.

cherine

Arabic (Egypt).
    Maybe we can combine all our contributions and coin something like الذوات الافتراضية على الإنترنت tough I find it too long. And frankly I prefer هوية to ذات. So my preference is الهويات الافتراضية.

< Previous | Next >