cycle (flight deck)

< Previous | Next >

ufoseeker

France Français
Bonjour tout le monde!

Dans ses mémoires, un commandant de porte-avions américain raconte que lors d'un déploiement dans le Golfe Persique, la tension était à son maximum avec les Iraniens.
"Whenever we went through the Strait of Hormuz, we cycled our Tomcats off the deck (…)"
Je comprends qu'il faisait décoller ses avions, mais quelqu'un pourrait-il me le confirmer s'il vous plaît?
Merci!

• Kelly B

USA English
    Oui, où cycled a une notion de chacun à son tour (not a suggested translation, just an explanation)

ain'ttranslationfun?

US English
    I understand that they had several, if not all, their Tomcats in the air for protection against any Iranian threat...
    I don't think they had all of them in the air at once. They would have gone in "cycles" in which the first group of Tomcats launched returned to the carrier for refueling when the last one took off. (I don't know, but I think fighter jets can't be refueled in fllight.) "...nous lançons nos Tomcats par groups tour à tour."

guillaumedemanzac

English - Southern England Home Counties
    "cycled" is very strange and must be air force argot. When they entered the strait, the planes had to be "cycled" (in turn) off the deck so no gunfire from the shore could hit them or the flight deck (which would mean they couldn't take off and would be stranded on the ship, thus becoming a sitting duck for enemy gunfire). Also, if they had taken off, they would be able to target the land guns to protect the ship and could return to base if the ship's landing deck was hit.

broglet

English - England
    I agree with the general consensus here that it means "we flew all of them in turn" (nothing to do with circling in the air)

It is an unusual use of 'cycle' but not particularly slang. The phrase "cycling off the deck" makes me think of what I would do after a ship docked and I got on my bike - but that is a completely different meaning :D

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >