<cycling> <I want to go> round the world

tufguy

hindi
1) There was a couple that decided to go round the world cycling in two hundred days.

2) Tom wants to go round the world. He wants to visit every country in this world.

Can I say "cycling round the world" or "I want to go round the world"?

• Andygc

British English
    Can I say "cycling round the world" or "I want to go round the world"?
    You can, but "cycling round the world" is not a sentence, and there's no obvious connection between the meanings of "cycling" and "I want to go". How about you providing some background and a complete sentence?

Packard

USA, English
    While it is possible to circumnavigate the world on a bicycle (with some sea vessel assistance) in 200 days, it would not be possible to see all of the countries in that time frame.

Like sdgraham, I have an issue with "around the world", though "around the globe" does not bother me. I prefer "circumnavigate".

The couple decided to circumnavigate the globe on bicycle with certain legs of the trip by ship. They hoped to complete the trip in 200 days.

Around the world cycling record - Wikipedia

The Guinness World Record (GWR) for fastest circumnavigation of the globe by bicycle is awarded for completing a continuous journey around the globe by bicycle and other means, consisting of a minimum 29,000 km in total distance cycled.

The male record is currently 78 days 14 hours, and 40 minutes by Mark Beaumont of Scotland. Paola Gianotti of Italy holds the current female record, completing her attempt in November 2014 in a total of 144 days, though these were not ridden consecutively.

Andygc

British English
    You can say either to a BE speaker. "I want to go round the world" has no sexual connotation in BE, and is more idiomatic than "around" with your intended meaning.

tufguy

hindi
    You can say either to a BE speaker. "I want to go round the world" has no sexual connotation in BE, and is more idiomatic than "around" with your intended meaning.
    But how about AmE speaker? If I said it in front of them I would become the laughing stock for them.

Packard

USA, English
    < Previous | Next >