cycling on the flat land/ in the hills/mountains ?

Discussion in 'English Only' started by Barbarella02, May 19, 2013.

1. Barbarella02 Member

Czech
    Hello everyone:)

I would like to ask how can I describe a type of the countryside I like/ don´t like cycle in.

Is it possible to use "I don´t like cycling on the flat land." to mean that I prefer cycling in the mountains? Or is it better to use flat surfice/ flat terrain?

And what about cycling in the hills? Does this make sense, when I don´t mean really high mountains?

Thanks a lot in advance :)

Barb

2. ron1759 Senior Member

Boston, Mass., U.S.A.
    U.S. - English
    "I don't like cycling on the flat land" is fine. Instead of "flat land," you could say "flat surfaces" or "flat terrain," if you prefer.

"I (don't) like cycling on hills" is also fine.

3. mr cat Senior Member

English - England
    I would say ''I don't like cycling on the flat'' - (I wasn't sure if this was widespread but google's exact phrase for 'cycling on the flat' returns over a million hits).
    Also I would say ''I like cycling in the hills''.

BrEng by the way.

4. Barbarella02 Member

Czech
    Thank you ron1759 and mr cat! Thanks a lot for your answers :) However, your answers differ in " cycling in the hills" in the usage of preposition and article as well. Is it a good idea to suppose that BrE tends to use "in" + "the", whereas AmE "on" + "no article" ?

5. mr cat Senior Member

English - England
    I can't speak for our American cousins but 'cycling on hills' sounds odd to my ears and 'cycling on the hills' would suggest that I was riding a mountain bike off road.
    (You did note that we differed in the first sentence as well when I dropped the word 'land'? )

6. Barbarella02 Member

Czech
    Oh! That´s interesting: on the hills - riding off road! Great:) Thank you very much! (And yes:) I noticed.)

7. Andygc

Andygc Senior Member

Devon
    British English
    I like cycling on hills is fine in my version of BE. It means I like riding my bike up and down inclines.
    I like cycling on the hills sounds wrong to me, but could mean off-road biking.
    I like cycling in the hills means I like riding my bike in hilly country. That is, it's the countryside that appeals as much as the actual inclines.
    I don't like cycling on the flat means that I do not like cycling on the level - on roads without inclines.

(PS mr cat Google hit counts are meaningless - the count on page 1 of a search is never the same as the count on the last page - often by a factor of a million)