Cycling the Americas

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Vocabulary / Vocabulario Español-Inglés' started by wma, Dec 3, 2008.

1. wma New Member

Switzerland
    English - Australian & British
    Hello

I'm wanting to print a dual-language business-sized card for my current cycling tour from Alaska to Argentina. In English it will read something like:

Wayne Maurer
    Cycling the Americas
    My URL

(forum restriction does not allow me to post urls)

How do I say "Cycling the Americas" in Spanish? Would "Montando América en Bicicleta" be okay, or is there a better phrase?

Thanks
    Wayne

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 3, 2008
  2. Marxelo

Marxelo Senior Member

Buenos Aires - Argentina
    Castellano Rioplatense
    Mmm ¿Qué tal Recorriendo América en Bicicleta?

3. Pitxuflitos

Pitxuflitos Senior Member

Bilbao-Spain
    Spanish & English
    Hi Wayne,

No, definitely not "montando América", as it is not America you ride, but the bike. The correct sentence would be "Montando en bicicleta por América" but that's a bit long.

My best bet would be: "Recorriendo América en bicicleta"

Other options include, "Conociendo América en bicicleta", "Pedaleando por América",...

By the way, is it nos a bit cold to be cycling this time of the year?!??

Well, what can I say, best of luck and best regards! :)

PS. Marxelo beat me to it and I'm glad we both agree! ;)

4. Oldy Nuts

Oldy Nuts Senior Member

Santiago, Chile
    Spanish - Chile
    From your original post, I would say that all the proposals that have been made should be corrected to "las Américas"

5. wma New Member

Switzerland
    Thanks to both Marxelo and Pitxuflitos. Recorriendo América en Bicicleta sounds good.

Cold? Yes it has been cold, especially down the Rocky Mountains, but after 11,000 miles I'm now in Arizona and it's pleasantly warm.

I'm very excited as I'll be in Baja California next week, heading to La Paz where I'll be spending some weeks at a language school to improve my Spanish.

Cheers
    Wayne

6. wma New Member

Switzerland
    Oh, interesting. I always thought that "The Americas" was an english phrase and the equivalent in Spanish was "América" to encompass north, central and south.

-Wayne

7. Pitxuflitos

Bilbao-Spain
    Spanish & English
    Oldy Nuts is absolutely right, "Recorriendo las Américas en bicicleta" is much better.

Enjoy your trip! Must admit that it sounds more fun than sitting opposite the computer! :)

8. Oldy Nuts

Oldy Nuts Senior Member

Santiago, Chile
    Spanish - Chile
    Sometimes. That's why there are people who object/resent to your talking abour America when you mean the USA.

9. horusankh

horusankh Senior Member

Guadalajara
    México, Español
    Hi,

You were right, the Spanish equivalent for "The Americas" is "América", although there are some people that understand "national from the USA" when they hear "americano", I don't think there is anybody (yet) who understands "USA" when they hear "América" (in Spanish).

Regards.

10. wma New Member

Switzerland
    Yes, I never refer to the USA as America when talking to Latin Americans, as I am aware of the sensitivity of the word.

So in the interest of not causing resentment to the Latin Americans that I give my card to, I shall change it to "Recorriendo las Américas en bicicleta".

Thanks for providing me with the best answer.

Cheers
    Wayne

11. horusankh

horusankh Senior Member

Guadalajara
    México, Español
    Hi,

What I meant was that in Spanish the translation would be: "Recorriendo América en bicicleta", since "América" is the whole continent, in plural it would be the equivalent to saying "las Europas" if you were to travel from Lisbon to Moscow.

Regards.

12. wma New Member

Switzerland
    Okay, thanks horusankh, that was my initial thought.

Now I'm in a quandry; I can't decide between "Recorriendo las Américas en bicicleta" and "Recorriendo América en bicicleta", the former suggested by a Chilean and the latter suggested by a Mexican.

What should I do, ¿echar una moneda?

13. Marxelo

Marxelo Senior Member

Buenos Aires - Argentina
    Castellano Rioplatense
    El continente se llama América, la división entre norte, centro y sur, en todo caso, es para usos particulares. En mi opinión es más frecuente decir América o continente americano que las Américas. No digo que esté mal ponerlo así si se prefiere, pero creo que en singular se entiende perfectamente que recorre todo el continente.

14. Oldy Nuts

Oldy Nuts Senior Member

Santiago, Chile
    Spanish - Chile
    Well, it is rather common to call "las Américas" to North, Central and South America as a whole, perhaps to make it clear that one is not talking about just one of the three.

Just for checking, Google has just given me 5 and a half million hits for "américas", including links such as

www.uamericas.cl
    www.cejamericas.org
    www.fdla.cl
    www.eclac.org/deype/ceacepal/index.htm
    www.udelasamericas.edu.ar

in the first page (I must confess I didn't go beyond it).

And, at least around here, people do talk about visiting "las Europas", although that's quite a different story.

I think you don't need to toss a coin; just make your choice according to what has been written here.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2008
  15. Pitxuflitos

Bilbao-Spain
    Spanish & English
    Hi Wayne,

Decisions, decisions.... well, whatever you choose will be correct, so that's rather comforting.
    As for my personal opinion, for what it's worth, I'd say "las Américas" is slightly more colloquial (I insist, this is my opinion and many may not share) whereas "América" sounds more official.

But, hey, tossing a coin isn't such a bad idea! ;)

16. wma New Member

Switzerland
    Muchas gracias a todos por sus comentarios y su ayuda.
    Saludos
    -Wayne