Cymraeg (Welsh): Siân

TrentinaNE

USA
English (American)
I'm reading a book by Welsh-born actress Sîan Phillips, and I was wondering if her first name is Welsh, and if so, how it would be pronounced. I say it similarly to "Shawn" in my head -- is that woefully far off?

Many thanks!
Elisabetta

• TrentinaNE

USA
    English (American)
    You're correct, Outsider, I placed the 'caret' over the i by mistake. It should be over the a. Sorry!

Thanks, Setwale_Charm. Would that be "Shan, rhymes with can, man, pan"?

Elisabetta

sharnyparny

Canada
    Hi. That's my name and according to my Mum, the woman at my dad's office who recommended the name when I was born, and another British girl of the same name that I met once, it's pronounced "sharn", like "yarn". I've never actually found any sort of book or publication that confirms this (most say it is supposed to be pronounced "shawn"), though.

*shrug*

Either way, I think the way I pronounce it is pretty, even if it isn't proper. :)

xo!

PS - I did some more googling and was suprisingly successful in finding this bit of info from another website (behindthename.com): "The circumflex is known as a 'to bach' in Welsh, this translates as 'little roof'. This lengthens the vowel sound to 'ar'. I think it would be better phonetically written as 'Sharn'." I just thought I'd pass it along. Cheers!

TarisWerewolf

Canada (English)
    Hi. That's my name and according to my Mum, the woman at my dad's office who recommended the name when I was born, and another British girl of the same name that I met once, it's pronounced "sharn", like "yarn". I've never actually found any sort of book or publication that confirms this (most say it is supposed to be pronounced "shawn"), though.

It would be pronounced as "sharn" in dialects of English that don't pronounce the letter "R" after vowels. For example, in my dialect of Canadian English (Ottawa Valley mixed with Nova Scotian), I wouldn't pronounce Siân and Sharn the same at all because of the R. I would find it more helpful to see "Shahn" (which, I believe is how my "Teach Yourself Welsh" book does it with their Imitated Pronunciation).