Cymraeg (Welsh): yr buten

Victuag

Spanish
Hola!
No sé qué significa esto. No parece inglés. Al tratarse de una novela galesa, lo he consultado también en un diccionario Welsh-English pero no found. ¿Alguien sabe qué significa?

"You have married her! It is as they told me! Married Nest Pritchard yr buten! And you stand there as if you had not disgraced yourself for ever and ever with your accursed wiving!

¡¡Gracias!!

• L'irlandais

Ireland: English-speaking ♂
    ¡Hola!
    ¡Bienvenido! to this side of WR.
    (Oops, I was going to say that this story was written in English only. :eek: )

In the context of the story "The doom of the Griffiths" by Elizabeth Gaskell published in 1857, the use of "dialect" is only to enhance the fiction.
    Perhaps this study document may shed some more light on the issue. - Source : Nagoya University Japan
    The background of the Welsh hillside, suggests to me that this is a place name, as such it will not necessarily to be found in a dictionary.
    The first consonant of a feminine singular noun is softened after the article namely - y or yr (meaning = the)
    Source : OS
    Post script : Though I have no idea about origin of the word "buten" ; if you are familar with the text Victuag, then you will know that - The father of Nest is from Ty Glas
    "Perhaps, sir, you do not know me. My name is Ellis Pritchard, and I live at Ty Glas, on this side of Moel Gest; anyone can point it out to you."
    So not a place name, as I've suggested, perhaps then it's an insult in Welsh - "the prostitute he calls her", (refer to study document linked above), only the author decides not to translate the abuse.
    Attention : *Do wait for a native Welsh-speaker to confirm this suggestion.*

Last edited: