Cynical Quote of Abraham Lincoln

< Previous | Next >

sadcafe

Taiwan (Traditional Chinese
Hi,

If this is coffee, please bring me some tea; but if this is tea, please bring me some coffee.

Please give me more insight of this quote.
My preliminary perception is the one who is hard to please. Maybe there are more than that.

Thank you.

• se16teddy

English - England
    The implication is that the coffee / tea was so tasteless it was impossible to tell which it was. American coffee, as drunk in large volume at breakfast time, is still very weak by continental European standards!

JamesM

My preliminary perception is the one who is hard to please. Maybe there are more than that.
    GWB's interpretation is excellent, in my opinion. I would just add that someone who approaches a situation like this with wit and humor is often seen in our culture as less of a complainer than someone who addresses it directly. The sideways approach of a witty remark demonstrates a sense of perspective and an attitude that doesn't take oneself too seriously.

He could have said: "This beverage is so tasteless as to be unrecognizable. Whatever it is, bring me the opposite of it!"

Now that would be an imperious and obnoxious way to communicate the same thing.

sadcafe

Taiwan (Traditional Chinese
    I have no intention to accuse Mr. Lincoln as a fastidious man.
    I googled it and found someone put it under cynical catagory.
    Then, I imagined maybe Lincoln was describing some politicians whom were hard to please or would never accept current status.
    I like this quote and think the meaning should beyond the simple words.
    I feel a sigh of relief because it feel so great to find the answer.
    Thank you everyone.

< Previous | Next >