Can you help me with this one:

- in the Czech Republic?
or
- in Czech Republic?

Thank you,

Cashew

• nycphotography

American English
    I suspect that in English, it would be "in The Czech Republic" and "The Soviet Union" and I think "The Virgin Islands" (but I'm not so sure about that last one).

But NOT "The Easter Island", NOR "The South Africa".

Why? Because Czech Republic is a phrasal noun, and for some reason phrasal nouns seem to need definite articles??

Can't be. Easter Island is a phrasal proper noun.

I'm not sure... So WHY this usage?

LorenaMorena

Nueva York/Ingles
    Yes, you would say "in THE Netherlands." I'm trying to figure out what the rule is, too, for using "the" or not using it. There must be some good reason!

LorenaMorena

Nueva York/Ingles
    We say "the" in front of the country's name when it's a group of islands like "the Canary Islands", or when the country's name shows that it is made up of different states, republics or other pieces - thus "the Soviet Union" because it's made up of lots of smaller parts. Now, Canada has territories, but you can't tell by its name so we just say "Canada". If it was called "the Canadian Territories" or something, then we would have to say "the" before it.

mamboney

English (USA)
    I have a good friend from the Czech Republic and when he refers to his own country he simply says "Czech" - no THE, no REPUBLIC, just Czech!
    ex: "I will be going back to Czech in December."

But he is not, of course, a native English speaker. I am, and I would say that you definitely need to use THE in front of Czech Republic or THE Netherlands.

elroy

Imperfect mod
    US English, Palestinian Arabic bilingual
    You say "the Czech Republic," "the Netherlands," and "the Soviet Union" because you are describing them: the republic that is Czech, the "lands" that are "below" (sea level), the union that is Soviet. "The Virgin Islands," "the Philippines," "the Maldives," etc. need a "the" because they're plural (which, incidentally, applies to "the Netherlands" as well).

As for "Easter Island," you don't need a "the" because it's not a description; it's just the name of the island.

But then again, we do say "the Thames" and "the Hudson." I would venture to say the "the" there has something to do with the absence of the common noun.

timpeac

English (England)
    All Czech people I know (around 5 or so) call it "Czech" simply. They also call their language "Czech".

I agree though that "the Czech Republic" sounds better to my ears.