Czech/Slovak/Polish: speakers

• Jana337

čeština
    Czech:
    native speakers - rodilí mluvčí
    English/Czech speakers
    - if you mean natives: rodilí mluvčí angličtiny/češtiny
    - if you mean anyone who speaks English/Czech decently: mluvčí angličtiny/češtiny or a longer expression ("lidé, kteří hovoří anglicky/česky" or "lidé hovořící anglicky/česky" or "anglicky/česky hovořící lidé")
    non-native speakers - I have seen "nerodilí mluvčí" and consider it a neologism but it does not annoy me (your alternative is "lidé, pro které je (name of a language) cizí jazyk)

Slovak:
    native speakers - rodení hovorcovia
    English/Czech speakers
    - rodení hovorcovia angličtiny/češtiny
    - "ludia, ktorí hovoria po anglicky/česky" or "ludia hovoriaci po anglicky/česky" or "anglicky/česky hovoriaci ludia"
    non-native speakers - no Google links for the neologism, so just the long one: ludia, pro ktoré je xxx cudzí jazyk

Hope this helps (and a lil confirmation from the Slovak brethern would be nice) . :)

Jana

kosicanka

Slovak - Slovakia
    Slovak:
    native speakers - rodení hovorcovia
    English/Czech speakers
    - rodení hovorcovia angličtiny/češtiny
    - "ľudia, ktorí hovoria po anglicky/česky" or "ľudia hovoriaci po anglicky/česky" or "anglicky/česky hovoriaci ľudia"
    non-native speakers - just the long one: ľudia, pre ktorých je xxx cudzí jazyk
    Almost perfect, Jana - as usual ;)

Janka

Slovak
    I am a Slovak teacher and I would not think that rodeny hovorca means a native speaker. If you say this about somebody, it means that the person has talents to speak for somebody or for a group of people. We dont have an equivalent for a native speaker. There are too few people who would need to express this in our language.

Jana337

čeština
    Well, I was not happy about it either but look here. Granted, not too many links but they use it precisely in the requested meaning.
    There are too few people who would need to express this in our language.
    :confused:

And welcome to the Slavic forum. :)

Jana

Marga H

Poland,Polish
    Hello,
    in Polish we don't have any good equivalent of the expression"native speaker".My dictionary says:"rodzimy użytkownik języka" but it sounds weird and I have never heard such a thing.It is the explanation and not the translation.In context :"He speaks English like a native speaker "you can say:Mówi po angielsku jak rodowity Anglik.
    English-speaking world = świat anglojęzyczny.
    Marga.

werrr

I am a Slovak teacher and I would not think that rodeny hovorca means a native speaker. If you say this about somebody, it means that the person has talents to speak for somebody or for a group of people. We dont have an equivalent for a native speaker. There are too few people who would need to express this in our language.
    Yes, I have the same feeling, but it's correct. Slovak rodený means both native and born/natural/congenital. In Czech, we have two separate words (rodilý = native, rozený = natural).
    Marga H said:
    English-speaking world = świat anglojęzyczny.
    In Czech, we can also say anglojazyčný, but it sounds a little studiedly. On the other hand, the erudite adjective anglofonní is perfect. Suprisingly, I never heard these adjectives in Slovak.

Janka

Slovak
    Anglicky hovoriaci svet is very common in Slovak.
    Rodeny hovorca has to be accomodated in our language yet. But I agree, there is no other phrase which would express a native speaker in Slovak.
    BTW, thank you for letting me in :).