Czech-Czechia
Ladies and gentlemen

We would like to draw your attention to the fact that CZECHIA has become the

official geographic (short) name of the Czech Republic and was included in the

United Nations’ UNGEGN World Geographic Names database on July 5, 2016

http://unstats.un.org/unsd/geoinfo/geonames/

and in the ISO3166 country list

https://www.iso.org/obp/ui/#iso:code:3166:CZ

For this reason, we kindly ask you for the inclusion of the name Czechia into your dictionary.

Many thanks and best regards

Vaclav

• fdb

French (France)
    Indeed, the Czech government has decreed that the English-speaking world must henceforth refer to their country as "Czechia". They have now no right to complain if the rest of the world confuses Czechia and Chechnya.

Vaclavjoseph

Czech-Czechia
    Indeed, the Czech government has decreed that the English-speaking world must henceforth refer to their country as "Czechia". They have now no right to complain if the rest of the world confuses Czechia and Chechnya.
    This is a very famous myth. In reality it is Czech Republic, which is being confused with Chechen Republic.

< Unapproved video link removed. Cagey, moderator >

Last edited by a moderator:

Cryptuniverse

Czech
    Poor knowledge of country names or geography (or hearing impairments or dyslexia) by some people should not be a reason for refusing a particular country name. There are numerous countries with more similar names than Czechia/Chechnya, such as Austria/Australia, Iran/Iraq, India/Indonesia, Mali/Malawi, Niger/Nigeria, Gambia/Zambia, Slovakia/Slovenia and even Georgia/Georgia (a U.S. state). None of these countries has decided to give up its short name and use its political name exclusively because of a possible confusion with another country (region). Czechia can be confused with Chechnya in the same way the Czech Republic can be confused with the Chechen Republic. The chance of actual confusion of Czechia and Chechnya during various diplomatic, international scientific or sports events is almost zero since Chechnya is not an independent country and does not act as a sovereign entity at the international scale.

Copperknickers

Scotland - Scots and English
    I salute the Czechian people on their new name, and I hope one day to visit the proud Czechian homeland, Czechia. Unless you would prefer to continue to be called 'Czechs'.

Poor knowledge of country names or geography (or hearing impairments or dyslexia) by some people should not be a reason for refusing a particular country name. There are numerous countries with more similar names than Czechia/Chechnya, such as Austria/Australia, Iran/Iraq, India/Indonesia, Mali/Malawi, Niger/Nigeria, Gambia/Zambia, Slovakia/Slovenia and even Georgia/Georgia (a U.S. state). None of these countries has decided to give up its short name and use its political name exclusively because of a possible confusion with another country (region). Czechia can be confused with Chechnya in the same way the Czech Republic can be confused with the Chechen Republic. The chance of actual confusion of Czechia and Chechnya during various diplomatic, international scientific or sports events is almost zero since Chechnya is not an independent country and does not act as a sovereign entity at the international scale.
    Austria/Australia is indeed a common one. I have suggested before that there is a simple remedy to the situation: we all henceforth start referring to people from Austria as 'Austriches'.

wildan1

Moderando ma non troppo (French-English, CC Mod)
    English - USA
    Good luck with this. About 20 years ago the Republic of Ivory Coast (whose only official language is French) made a similar announcement, that it would be known in any language only as Côte d'Ivoire.

After 20 years about the only people who have complied are the Government of Côte d'Ivoire abroad, the United Nations and diplomats.

Old habits die hard (even if in the Czech Republic's case, they are only 25 years old).

fdb

French (France)
    A question to our Czech friends: Does anyone say or write "Czechia" when speaking Czech? I think your name for your country is Česko. Am I right?

Aryaved

USA
    Marathi, Hindi
    Good luck with this. About 20 years ago the Republic of Ivory Coast (whose only official language is French) made a similar announcement, that it would be known in any language only as Côte d'Ivoire.

After 20 years about the only people who have complied are the Government of Côte d'Ivoire abroad, the United Nations and diplomats.

Old habits die hard (even if in the Czech Republic's case, they are only 25 years old).
    The Ivory Coast is the most bizarre example. It's not like Germany makes everyone uses Deutschland. But everyone has their preferences and we must respect the wishes of the Czechs and call their country Czechia. Just don't tell me we have to call them Czechians!

jekoh

Fr - Fr
    Indeed the announcement by Czechia is not remotely close to being similar to the one by Ivory Coast : while Côte d'Ivoire is not an English word, Czechia is so there's really no reason to not use Czechia in English, official announcement or not. In fact it's difficult to understand why people went with the name Czech Republic for the last 20 years when Czechia is both shorter and more regular as a country name. I have personnaly called that country Czechia (or French Tchéquie) for many years and nothing bad has happened to me.

wildan1

Moderando ma non troppo (French-English, CC Mod)
    English - USA
    Those very old documents come as a surprise to me. The usage would then be archaic now, I believe.

In 1991 the newly separate country, consisting of Bohemia, Czech Silesia and Moravia, introduced itself to the English-speaking world as the Czech Republic (also here), and that name has stuck...

jekoh

Fr - Fr
    So your argument in favour of Czech Republic is that it's how the country introduced itself in 1991? Well they now introduce themselves as Czechia, so Czechia it is.

Dymn

I salute the Czechian people on their new name, and I hope one day to visit the proud Czechian homeland, Czechia. Unless you would prefer to continue to be called 'Czechs'.
    Why change the adjective? The official long name in English for the country will still be "Czech Republic", not "Czechian Republic", won't it?

By the way, is the word "Czechia" known in English or other languages? I have been using it for years (well, in Catalan Txèquia, Spanish Chequia) without any problem...

Copperknickers

Scotland - Scots and English
    Why change the adjective? The official long name in English for the country will still be "Czech Republic", not "Czechian Republic", won't it?

By the way, is the word "Czechia" known in English or other languages? I have been using it for years (well, in Catalan Txèquia, Spanish Chequia) without any problem...
    I was just playing around.

And 'Czechia' is very rarely if ever used in English... well, until now, so the Czech government hopes.

Mrs JJJ

USA
    English (British)
    Whew! I'm so glad to have read this thread. To my surprise and embarrassment, until now I was unaware of the official change.

Thank you, Vaclavjoseph!

< Previous | Next >