Czytać się

< Previous | Next >

jacquesvd

Dutch
My Polish is entirely passive and I therefore write in English. Why does ‚czytać’ become reflexive in this sentence „dlaczego tak trudno się teraz czytać?
Thanks in advance to whoever can help me on this

• ornityna

Polish
    This could go either:
    Dlaczego tak trudno się teraz czyta?
    or
    Dlaczego tak trudno (jest) teraz czytać?
    Both mean more or less: 'Why is it so hard to read these days?'

Czytać (as well as almost every verb) can go with się when it is used in an impersonal, general meaning. It is similar to Spanish se lee, se escribe etc.
    Examples:
    Tą książkę czyta się łatwo. 'It is easy to read this book'
    W tym parku spaceruje się przyjemnie. 'It is nice to walk in this park'

jacquesvd

Dutch
    That sentence is incorrect. Where did you get it from? Or did you make it up?
    It’s a sentence from Justyna Sobolewska, the literature critic of Polityka

This could go either:
    Dlaczego tak trudno się teraz czyta?
    or
    Dlaczego tak trudno (jest) teraz czytać?
    Both mean more or less: 'Why is it so hard to read these days?'

Czytać (as well as almost every verb) can go with się when it is used in an impersonal, general meaning. It is similar to Spanish se lee, se escribe etc.
    Examples:
    Tą książkę czyta się łatwo. 'It is easy to read this book'
    W tym parku spaceruje się przyjemnie. 'It is nice to walk in this park'
    Thank you very much: I didn’t see the similarity between ‚en invierno se leen más libros que en verano’ and ’dlaczego tak trudno się teraz czyta’.

jacquesvd

Dutch
    Are you sure it was worded like that? A Polish native would never say such a sentence.
    Yes. I expressly double checked. Justyna Sobelewska is a Polish native, has a universitarian degree in Polish and is well known for her literary reviews

jacquesvd

Dutch
    Maybe it was a typo, because it doesn't make sense. :D
    Maybe it was a typo, because it doesn't make sense. :D
    yes, I had a typo in my original request. In my response to your first intervention I had it right ‚dlaczego tak trudno się teraz czyta’ and that was also one of the possible sentences you offered. I double checked several times the header and responded this to Zaffy never realising that I had a typo in my original request.

< Previous | Next >