dársena

• k-in-sc

U.S. English
    Except there's no such thing as a parking dock! Not that I ever heard of anyway. Berth, maybe, for those angled slots at the station, but it's not very common and not a good headline word. ...

"Parked city bus stolen," "Bus stolen from parking space," "Bus stolen from parking spot" or "Bus stolen from bus stop," or if the "dársena" was at the bus station, you could say "Bus stolen from station" ...

The thing is, a parking space usually is for leaving the vehicle and walking away. Isn't the dársena a place on the route where it sits and idles, more like a bus stop?

hueso381

Spanish - Spain
    Regarding this discussion...

Why isn´t the definition of "dársena" in the dictionary?

Is it just translated as "bus stop"?

So, if you travel by train, you have to look for the platform number... Now, if you were to travel by bus, you just look for the bus stop number?

I couldn´t even find that definition of "dársena" in the RAE... funny one.

Comments will be appreciated.

Thanks.

Södertjej

Spanish ES/Swedish (utlandssvensk)
    Sí, dársensa viene en la RAE, pero no con el significado de lugar donde se detienen los autobuses en una estación. Dársena.

Pregunta para los nativos ¿se podría usar pier? Me suena pero no tengo certeza. Incluyo foto de lo que llamamos dársena en España.

hueso381

Spanish - Spain
    Claro, por eso he dicho que no he podido encontrar ESE significado en la RAE, aunque parece ser una palabra bastante aceptada en las estaciones de autobuses españolas...

No soy nativo, pero en mi humilde opinión "pier" sólo se usa para definir "muelle o embarcadero" como el diccionario indica. Nada que ver con estaciones de autobuses.

¿Llegaremos a la conclusión de "bus stop"? :)

0scar

Banned
    Spanish-Argentina
    Por la foto dársena podría llamarse bus platform o bay.
    Dársena en el puerto es dock

k-in-sc

U.S. English
    No, a bus stop is on the street. It's not a part of a bus station.
    I still don't know what to call "dársena," but not "pier," which as far as I know is only nautical.

Södertjej

Spanish ES/Swedish (utlandssvensk)
    I still don't know what to call "dársena," but not "pier," which as far as I know is only nautical.
    I know, it is so in Spanish too. I suppose we use the same name because they're kind of similar in shape. Except that where you normally have water and a boat you have asphalt and a bus.

k-in-sc

U.S. English
    Yes, maybe "bay," if it's already clear you are talking about a bus station. At least at some stations, you wait at "gates," the same as at an airport.

< Previous | Next >