début

< Previous | Next >

Lady of Shalott

Australian English
In the context of the following sentence, could you please tell me which of my translations of début is the most appropriate (these are fine distinctions, I realise).

Début 2012, les fabricants vont devoir verser une taxe d'un peu plus de 2 centimes d'euros par canette...

Possible translations:
From the start of 2012, manufacturers will have to pay a tax of a little more than 2 Euro cents per can...
Commencing in 2012, manufacturers will have to pay a tax of a little more than 2 Euro cents per can...
From early 2012, manufacturers will have to pay a tax of a little more than 2 Euro cents per can...

• Wordsmyth

Native language: English (BrE)
    If the sentence begins with "Début", then strictly speaking there's no indication of "from". For that meaning I would expect to see "dès" or "à partir de".

As written, I would read it as "at the beginning of 2012" or "in early 2012", (as if it were "au début").

Admittedly, the context suggests your interpretation as more likely, LoS, since such taxes are rarely one-off events (especially per can!), so if that's the intended meaning, I'd probably also go for "from early 2012", though your other suggestions would also work.

Ws:)

Wordsmyth

Native language: English (BrE)
    I'm sure that's the intended meaning, JdS.

Note: "effective [or with effect] from early 2012" or simply "effective early 2012". "On" would be used with a day or date: "effective on Monday", "effective on the first of January".

Ws:)

< Previous | Next >