décor tout en rondeur

Discussion in 'French-English Vocabulary / Vocabulaire Français-Anglais' started by elenabo, Mar 16, 2009.

1. elenabo New Member

''Dans ce superbe décor tout en rondeur, véritable carte postale de la Normandie...''

Hi all, (especially mother tongue English!)! This is the beginning of a tourist guide about Normandy to be translated into English.

My attempt is:

''In this magnificent all-roundish setting, a real postcard of Normandy...''

Does it sound normal in English? It sounds strange to me but you never know!

Thanks for your suggestions!

2. antobag Senior Member

London, England
    English - England
    I've never heard of "all-roundish"... Perhaps "panoramic" instead?

3. sarah82 Senior Member

Annecy, France
    French-France
    What about "in this magnificent roundness" or "in the magnificent roundness of the landscape/setting"?

4. antobag Senior Member

London, England
    English - England
    Ah ok, ignore my last post. I didn't understand the true meaning of "tout en rondeur"!

5. catay Senior Member

Canada anglais
    How about something like: "In this magnificent and harmonious setting..."
    (all the elements of the setting or the landscape form part of an harmonious whole)...

rondeur (au fig.)
    • Qualité de ce qui dégage une impression d'harmonie et de plénitude. Rondeur d'un style, d'une période, d'une phrase musicale.
    http://atilf.atilf.fr/dendien/scripts/tlfiv5/advanced.exe?8;s=3108407670;

6. elenabo New Member

Thank you all for your quick and enlightening contributions!

I think I will go for Catay's suggestion about magnificent and harmonious setting, I really liked Sarah82 suggestion too, but I think that

"In this magnificent and harmonious setting, a real postcard of Normandy...''

Would flow a bit easier than

"In the magnificent roundness of the setting, a real postcard of Normandy..."

Thank you all and have a good day!