député des Français à l’étranger


English - UK
Bonjour tout le monde,

Je suis en train de traduir une article qui parle de la politique et j'aimerais savoir l'equivilent de 'depute des francais a l'etranger' en anglais s'il vous plait.

Oversees French deputy?

Foreign secretary?

Deputy for oversees French nationals ?

merci en avance!
  • atcheque

    Senior Member
    français (France)

    It is not overseas.
    French people living abroad have their deputies in the French parliament. That's it.

    Keith Bradford

    Senior Member
    English (Midlands UK)
    There is no equivalent in British politics. Residents abroad must continue to register themselves at their last address in the UK, so their "député" (= MP) will be the sitting member for the place they last lived in. There is a time limit on how long they may continue to do this, and after long residence abroad (I can't remember if it's 5 years or 15) they have neither voting rights nor an MP to represent them.

    And yes, that does mean that many of the people most personally affected by the Brexit referendum were unable to vote in it! :mad:
    < Previous | Next >