détonner

sonsinimitables

English, Florida -- USA
Bonjour tout le monde,

"détonner" = to give in to something, or to lose originality (?????) Or something totally different...

Context: "A ceux que pourrait surprendre le lien entre les grossièretés provocantes d’Ubu Roi et les sublimes accents de Pelléas, il faut rappeler l’atmosphère de cette fin de siècle littéraire : entre symbolisme et décadence, Jarry n’y détonne pas."

• ultrasleek

French/ France
    actually détonner means to be original; in this context though, Jarry lacks originality, or at least is being described as similar to other writers of his time (if he is a writer indeed)

Canuck Amuck

English
    I came to the site looking for suggestions for this term, and landed on the discussion above. I'd be interested in a second opinion from a native speaker. My sense, in general and in the original example given, is that détonner does not mean to be original. It means to be out of step, out of keeping, in disharmony with. To say that Jarry "ne détonne pas" would be to say that in the example given he is of his times, he is not out of keeping with his age. Others were doing the same. To say that he was not original seems to me an additional step, a qualitative judgement, not intended in the phrase given or the word itself. Comments?

JClaudeK

Français France, Deutsch (SW-Dtl.)
    My sense, in general and in the original example given, is that détonner does not mean to be original.
    :thumbsup:

détonner vi(casser l'harmonie, jurer)clash vi
    be out of place, be incongruous, be discordant expr
    (music)go out of tune expr

Edit:
    Je confirme les définitions du dictionnaire qui contredisent clairement l'affirmation que "détonner means to be original". Il n'y a rien d'autre à ajouter. =>
    Jarry n'a rien d'incongru dans l'atmosphère de cette fin du sciècle.

Last edited:

Philippides

Français - France
    Bonjour

Restons polis. Votre question n'est pas claire et moi-même je ne vois pas ce que @JClaudeK aurait pu dire de plus.

Dans la phrase d'origine, cela veut dire que Jarry n'est pas différents des auteurs de son époque.
    Les différentes propositions de traduction du dictionnaire, rappelées par @JClaudeK reprennent bien les sens que peut avoir cette expressions.
    Quelles autres subtilités verriez-vous ?

Philippides

Français - France
    I think it was all quite apparent what my question was and why.
    Apparently it was not, since we are two of us who did not understand. Caps and bold won't make it any clearer.

As said in post #4, you are right to think that "détonner does not mean to be original." The different meanings are the ones given by the dictionnary.
    If you have another sentence where you feel the none of these translation fit your context, please provide it and many people here will be happy to help.

Canuck Amuck

English
    The second sentence of my query:

I'd be interested in a second opinion from a native speaker.

The individual in question supplied a cut and pasted dictionary definition instead.

The final two sentences in my original query, still in relation to the comment given by a native speaker to the effect that the term détonner means to be original:

To say that he was not original seems to me an additional step, a qualitative judgement, not intended in the phrase given or the word itself. Comments?

I don't know how I could be any clearer.