Discussion in 'English Only' started by Kaiapó, Oct 22, 2013.

1. Kaiapó Senior Member

Morning everyone" Haul him out, boys. Before Eng comes back to his hole and finds this d-horn garbage squatting in here."It comes from Shining Girls by L. Beukes, a South-african author.Is it some sort of "piece of shit"?Thanks for your timeK
  2. Andygc

Andygc Senior Member

British English
    A bit of context might make this intelligible. Who is "him"? Where is he being hauled from? Who is "Eng" and what is "his hole"?
  3. Kaiapó Senior Member

Context summary: A man (him) falls into a hole , other men try to bring him out of it, before Eng (the Chinese man who lives in the hole) comes back.

4. Loob

Loob Senior Member

English UK
    Hello Kaiapó

According to this Google Books copy of the novel, you have slightly misquoted the text, which should read:
    Before Chinaman Eng comes back to his hole and finds this d-horner garbage squatting in here.

Not that that helps me - I'm not familiar with the expression 'd-horner'. But maybe someone else will be:).
  5. Kaiapó Senior Member

Yes, Loob

Yes, I've misquoted it a bit. But it does not change much, does it?

I wonder if it is a term used only in South Africa.

6. JustKate

JustKate Moderate Mod

Well, I have heard of dehorning - it means removing the horns from cattle (or other horned livestock) to make them a bit less dangerous to handle, so you could conceivably call someone who does this a dehorner. But I've never heard it used as an insult, as it appears to be used here.
  7. Sparky Malarky

Sparky Malarky Moderator

English - US
  8. PaulQ

PaulQ Senior Member

English - England
    Hmmm... you may have to find a South African English speaker. Urban dictionary does give two definitions. The second one fits better but has not received much support, but the first has a statistically neglible vote.

So, I would go with the second at http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=D horn
    This fits with your context-driven idea of "piece of shit."
  9. Kaiapó Senior Member

Thanks Sparky, JustKate and PaulQ

dumbass it will be