da más vueltas que un burro en una noria

EddieZumac

English/Spanish
When a person beats around the bush, you might say this expression.

Is there a better way to translate this into English.

Thanks in advance.

• roxcyn

USA
    American English [AmE]
    Así es. También hay varias frases:
    "Get to the point!"
    "Stop dancing around the issue."
    "Stop going around in circles."

Espero que te ayude.

the_late_Buddy_Ryan

English - USA
    There’s an old-fashioned (mostly British) expression—“You’re going all round Robin Hood’s barn!” Seems almost as old school as one about the burro and the noria…

the_late_Buddy_Ryan

English - USA
    Well, yeah, that would work. Also has a nice archaic ring to it, since it prob’ly refers to beating the bushes to flush game (or not); first recorded 1572, I just read in an online dictionary…

fenixpollo

American English
    Eddie, could you please describe a specific situation in which you would use this phrase? It might help us think of other alternatives.

Oldy Nuts

Spanish - Chile
    Eddie, none of roxcyn's suggestions offers any context. Also, they are all imperative, while your original sentence is (I think) a comment; that's why my own suggestion is in the form of a comment.

fenixpollo

American English
    I think roxcyn covered the alternatives.
    Roxcyn offered some alternatives, but there may be others that we're missing because we don't have a specific example. The suggestions proposed seem to capture the meaning, but none of them are as colorful as "burro en la noria". If you gave us a concrete situation, we might be able to come up with a more fitting translation.

Mr.Dent

English American
    If you are looking for some colorful ways to say, "stop beating around the bush: try some of the following.
    Gobbledygook! Be straight.
    Spit it out!
    That's pure claptrap.

< Previous | Next >