Da quanto tempo che non ci sentiamo!

• Ellena

USA (California), English
    Or "It's been such a long time since we talked" "It's been such a long time since we've spoken" (a little more formal)

Ellena

frankie71

italiano italia
    Come traduco in inglese la frase:

"Non ci sentiamo da tanto tempo"

Potrebbe andare:

We don't hear each others long time since

GavinW

British English
    We haven't heard from each in a long time.
    We haven't heard from each other for a long time.
    We haven't spoken for a long time.
    It's been ages since we last spoke. (slightly informal)
    It's been ages since we last heard from each other. (sl infml)
    Long time no hear! (exclamation, not statement)

Henny*

England, English
    "we havn't heard from you for so long"
    or
    "we havn't been in touch for so long"

It wouldn't really be reflexive in English

Siberia

UK-Wales - English
    I presume you want to know how to say that in English . with no context it means_
    We haven't heard each other for a long time - I havent heard from him/her for a long time.

saretta

English/Italian - bilingual
    I presume you want to know how to say that in English . with no context it means_
    We haven't heard each other for a long time - I havent heard from him/her for a long time.
    Oppure, se il "non ci sentiamo" non é specificamente inteso come contatti telefonici, puoi dire

We haven't been in touch for ages

usa_scott

USA/English
    non ci sentiamo da molto tempo
    Welcome "big Mark". :)

Forum participants are generally asked to provide their own attempt at a given translation rather than simply posting a sentence/string in one language or another. And a bit of contextual introduction may also be asked/required.

Have you read the stickies?

Markone

Italy italiano
    Welcome "big Mark". :)

Forum participants are generally asked to provide their own attempt at a given translation rather than simply posting a sentence/string in one language or another. And a bit of contextual introduction may also be asked/required.

Have you read the stickies?
    Not yet, but I will ! Thank you

Btw
    By the way where do I find those stickies ?

brian

AmE (New Orleans)
    When I first read "talked," my mind wanted to add "have" or at least turn "we" into "we've." But to tell you the truth, it's common in spoken English to drop the "have / 've."

Einstein

UK, English
    Does it make any difference if one uses the past tense or the present perfect after "since" in sentences of this kind?
    As you see I used the present and then the simple past in "It's ages since we were in touch".
    Personally I don't find the present perfect indispensable in the first part ("It's a long time" or "It's been a long time"). In the second part I use the simple past, because it refers to an action preceding the present situation (the long time that has passed) and therefore fixed in the past. However, I see that mine isn't the only view!:)

giovannino

Italian, Neapolitan
    Personally I don't find the present perfect indispensable in the first part ("It's a long time" or "It's been a long time"). In the second part I use the simple past, because it refers to an action preceding the present situation (the long time that has passed) and therefore fixed in the past. However, I see that mine isn't the only view!:)
    I've noticed a difference between BE and AE in tense usage in these sentences. My BE textbooks consider both "it's a long time since..." and "it's been a long time since..." to be correct, whereas many AE speakers seem to regard "it's been" as more correct.

As for the tense after "since", judging from Brian's post, both the past tense and the present perfect seem to be acceptable in AE.

brian

AmE (New Orleans)
    And I'll add that to me the present tense "It's ages since.." or "It's a long time.." sounds super awkward. :D I always put it into the present perfect: "It's been ages/a long time..." where of course "It's" = "It has" and not "It is."

Sorry giovannino, you posted before me. :) One more thing. You can say things like, "It's been a while since we talked last," which doesn't really add new information of course, but which (at least to my ears) actually requires the verb to be in the simple past. Another example:

It's been over a year since we have gone to the movies.
    It's been over a year since we went to the movies (last).

I actually prefer "went" here for some reason, but I can't think why. Perhaps because it refers to a specific action--the going to the movies--whereas something like "since we've talked" refers to the entire idea or range of past communication. :D In fact, if I say "since we talked," I might actually have in mind the precise time that we last talked. But if I say "since we've talked" I might be speaking more generally.

giovannino

Italian, Neapolitan
    brian8733 said:
    And I'll add that to me the present tense "It's ages since.." or "It's a long time.." sounds super awkward. :D I always put it into the present perfect: "It's been ages/a long time..." where of course "It's" = "It has" and not "It is."
    Actually my idea that it is an AE/BE split may be too simple. Judging from this thread in EO there is a considerable variety of views both among AE and BE speakers

brian8733 said:
    In fact, if I say "since we talked," I might actually have in mind the precise time that we last talked. But if I say "since we've talked" I might be speaking more generally.
    This distinction makes a lot of sense:)

< Previous | Next >