Daddy / Your Daddy

< Previous | Next >

GeogeHalin

Japanese
Hi members!

I know we use 'daddy' to refer to our Dad. As in:
Me: Dad, I need some here!
My father: Coming!

But I wonder, in English, do people use it in this way?
Like, if I had a husband, and we had a kid, so I said to my kid "Daddy and I have decided to ground you for a month."
Can we say that instead of 'Your Daddy and I...."

I think it's okay here, if we know whose Daddy we are talking about.
Right?

Thank you!

• suzi br

English / England
    You don't need to say " your" because its obvious, as you say.

On the other hand, daddy is the soft version of the name. In my family a discipline matter would by done by my father. Daddy buys me treats, father gets strict.

colum4

China-Chinese
    You don't need to say " your" because its obvious, as you say.

On the other hand, daddy is the soft version of the name. In my family a discipline matter would by done by my father. Daddy buys me treats, father gets strict.
    Hi,
    What is the difference between daddy and dad?

Thank you.

suzi br

English / England
    Daddy is a bit more childish, most useful for toddlers.
    Dad is the normal word for most contexts.
    I would never use daddy to talk about my dad to a third person.

london calling

UK English
    Daddy is a bit more childish, most useful for toddlers.
    Dad is the normal word for most contexts.
    I would never use daddy to talk about my dad to a third person.
    That isn't a hard and fast rule, although I personally use both words as you do.:)

That said, it does depend on the family. My grandmother still referred to her husband as daddy when speaking to her (seven) children about him when she was well into her eighties.;) My father and his brothers always referred (still refer, actually) to him as dad, but his three sisters always talk about their daddy.;)

ewie

English English
    I always used to be surprised when fully-grown middle-aged macho men (albeit fictional ones) addressed their fathers as 'daddy' in Dallas:cool:

RM1(SS)

English - US (Midwest)
    I always used to be surprised when fully-grown middle-aged macho men (albeit fictional ones) addressed their fathers as 'daddy' in Dallas:cool:
    That's a Southern thing.

My father wasn't around much after my early childhood, and died when I was 15, so I never made the change from calling him "Daddy" to calling him "Dad." Even now, while I would refer to him as "my father" or "my dad" if speaking to someone outside the immediate family, if I were able to talk to my mother or my siblings I would still refer to him as "Daddy."

< Previous | Next >