daily cash return

Cholmondely

Español - México
Hola,

¿Alguien sabe la traducción de daily cash return? Se habla de los depósitos bancarios diarios que hace una tienda.

Verify the totals against the daily cash return.

De antemano gracias por su ayuda.

• FromPA

USA English
    I’ve never heard the term “daily cash return.” What you have described I would call the “daily bank deposits,” so I assume that “depósitos bancarios diarios” would be a good translation.

Joe Esquire

Spanish Spain- English US
    Parece ser un programa/procedimiento de contabilidad para reconciliar la cantidad de efectivo recibida y depositada en el banco contra los recibos.
    Sin mas detalles, diría: “Posición diaria de efectivo”

Saludos,
    JE

FromPA

USA English
    Parece ser un programa/procedimiento de contabilidad para reconciliar la cantidad de efectivo recibida y depositada en el banco contra los recibos.
    Sin mas detalles, diría: “Posición diaria de efectivo”

Saludos,
    JE
    Although the original post made no mention of a reconciliation of bank deposits to sales records, I believe you’re right. In English I would call that something like “daily reconciliation of (reported) sales to bank deposits.” “Daily cash position” would seem to be something entirely different, at least it is in English.

Edit: As I think about it more, the term “cash return” might be a way of referring to “cash flow from sales” or simply “cash sales.” Converting inventory to cash.

Last edited:

Joe Esquire

Although the original post made no mention of a reconciliation of bank deposits to sales records, I believe you’re right. In English I would call that something like “daily reconciliation of (reported) sales to bank deposits.” “Daily cash position” would seem to be something entirely different, at least it is in English.

Edit: As I think about it more, the term “cash return” might be a way of referring to “cash flow from sales” or simply “cash sales.” Converting inventory to cash.
    I would say, in English, as a native speaker, and in my professional experience, it is not “something entirely different”.
    A “Return” is an account or formal report, such as a tax return, or a list of property or assets reported.

I have a client who runs a territorial distribution franchise for a national tire company comprised of many stores. Those stores operate on a large cash basis, and make multiple deposits to the bank daily. At the end of the day, each store reconciles the cash at hand (in the cash register), the cash in the vault, and the cash deposited to the bank. A report is prepared at the end of the day: “A Daily Cash Postion Report” and submitted (returned) to the head office.

The next morning, the opening manager would know the reconciled cash at hand in the store, and head office would have an accounting for the total cash position of the franchise.

We can call it: Daily Cash Report, Daily Cash Position, Daily Cash Summary, etc., depending on the business, but the purpose is to reconcile cash.

Without more, this is my suggestion to the original poster, to see whether the fact pattern may apply to his case.

FromPA

USA English
    I would say, in English, as a native speaker, and in my professional experience, it is not “something entirely different”.
    A “Return” is an account or formal report, such as a tax return, or a list of property or assets reported.
    The difference I was referring to was the difference between a position report (the ending balance at a specific date) and an activity report (the sum of activity - deposits - during a period of time). You may be right in interpreting how the word “return” is being used, although it’s a very odd title for an intracompany report since a return is a filing that you are legally obligated to make, typically to the government. What I would suggest is that Cholmondely (the OP) verify that “cash return” does in fact refer to a cash position report before translating it as such.

Joe Esquire

In the ordinary sense of the word, a Return is an account or formal report (not just to the government, and not just as a legal obligation). The fact that you find it “very odd” does not change its definition, it just means that you are not familiar with its extended usage. And this is “in English’’ .

FromPA

USA English
    In the ordinary sense of the word, a Return is an account or formal report (not just to the government, and not just as a legal obligation). The fact that you find it “very odd” does not change its definition, it just means that you are not familiar with its extended usage. And this is “in English’’ .
    I have to disagree with you on that. I’ve worked 40 years in financial reporting for private and public companies and have never seen the word used that way. I haven’t found any dictionary definition supporting that extended usage. That doesn’t mean that some people somewhere do not use it that way - you can call a report anything you’d like - but it’s not at all common in my experience.