další rok a další vánoce

artimedoros49

English
Hello,

I have received a letter, in which I don’t understand the meaning of další in the following sentence:
Máme skoro za námi další rok a další vánoce.
I have read this as: "We have almost behind us another year and another Christmas"

It doesn‘t quite make sense to me because I thought další meant "another" in the sense of "one to yet come".
Am I on the right track? If not, could someone please explain?

Thank you

• Enquiring Mind

English - the Queen's
    Just to illustrate Mori.cze's point about "další" meaning "next in a sequence" with a couple more examples with verbs in the present (iterative) tense (1), and past (perfective) tense (2) and (3). These are not yet-to-come "(an)others", they are happening now (1) or have already happened (2), (3).

(1) Další průšvih Windows 10: aktualizace odinstalovává Catalysty a další programy. (source: diit.cz)
    Another Windows 10 glitch: updating tends to uninstall .... and other programs.

(2) Japonci vyslali další velrybářskou flotilu. (source: zoom.iprima.cz)
    The Japanese have dispatched another whaling fleet.

(3) Kdo to soupeří s Messim? Skvostné trefy nabídli i další. Vybírejte gól roku! (source: sport.cz)
    Who'll be in the running with Messi? Superb goals have also been suggested by others ...

Další also often translates simply as "more" in English (but obviously not in your context) e.g.
    Nezapomeňte zahrnout e-mailovou adresu, na které vás zastihneme, pokud budeme potřebovat další informace.
    Don't forget to include an e-mail address where we can reach you if we need more/further/additional information.

werrr

It's basically the same word as English further.

Další is comparative of daleký in the same way as further is comparative of far with identical meanings respectively.