dal lavoro passa la nuova complessiva identità femminile

Discussion in 'Italian-English' started by swansea12, Dec 29, 2010.

1. swansea12 Banned

english british
    Hi, could someone indicate my correct or otherwise understanding of the use of passare here in this context?
    "....non c'è nessuna che voglia stare a casa perché dal lavoro passa la nuova complessiva identità femminile.."
    "...none wants to stay at home because from work arises the new complex female identity..."
    Grazie molto in anticipo...:)

2. laurentius87

laurentius87 Senior Member

Turin, Italy
    Italian
    Your translation is fine. Literally, dal lavoro passa is not the same as from work arises, but something like through work passes (?).

Rather than complex for complessivo, what about comprehensive?

3. Garbo

Garbo Senior Member

Long Island, NY
    English - USA
    Please note the correct word is no one.

4. rrose17

rrose17 Senior Member

Istanbul
    Canada, English
    None wants? Is that right? To me it should be either "No one wants..." or "None want..." Anyway using Laurentius as a springboard what about
    No one wants to stay at home because a woman's indentity, the new comprehensive one, is derived from the work place.

5. laurentius87

laurentius87 Senior Member

Turin, Italy
    Italian
    I would say that passare da qualcosa, in this figurative meaning, expresses the idea of a concept that is the crossroad for something else: e.g. La strada del successo passa dallo studio e dall'applicazione = The way to success goes/passes through study and diligence?

6. Lorena1970

Lorena1970 Banned

Italy, Italiano
    :thumbsup:

7. Gulletussan New Member

Italy
    English(UK)/Swedish-bilingual
    Perhaps you should use "...., derives from the work place" rather than the passive form?

8. swansea12 Banned

english british
    @ garbo..."none" is correct, noone would refer to a singular and I am referring to a group of housewives ...I really think a native english speaker should be less categoric in the assumption that another native speaker is using his own tongue poorly..
    non c'è nessuna literally there is noone...but in english we really wouldn't say it like this.We would say no-one wants to stay at home ( sing) or none wants to stay at home ( a group or one of a group ).When I translate into english I try to say it how it would normally be said in my language.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2010