dal progetto ex novo alla sua esecuzione

guyfromleeds

england english
I have translated the following sentence but am not satisfied with the result:

"Possiamo partire dal progetto ex novo alla sua esecuzione."

"We can start a project from scratch to completion."

Can anyone suggest an alternative please?
Thanks for any help.

• debboa

Italia, Italiano
    Besides the spelling error in the title (execuzione), I don't understand the Italia sentence: " alla sua esecuzione" could be "at execution time", but it's not clear unless you quote a bit more from the original sentence! It can also be "(fino) alla sua esecuzione", and in this case your attempt is ok.

As for "ex novo" (even if it could be misused, in this italian sentence), has probably a slightly different meaning than English "from scratch", as it usually refers more to concept than to material work.

Anyway, the full (as an excerpt!) Italian sentence sounds a bit odd!

ALBERTO

Alberto

guyfromleeds

england english
    There is no spelling mistake. "execuzione" doesn't exist in Italian.
    They are either trying to say that:
    they are flexible and can start a project from scratch taking it right through to the final stage
    OR
    they are flexible and can either start a project from scratch or take up an existing project

debboa

Italia, Italiano
    There is no spelling mistake. "execuzione" doesn't exist in Italian.
    Yes I know! :D Sorry, I was sure I had seen "execuzione" in the title!

They are either trying to say that:
    they are flexible and can start a project from scratch taking it right through to the final stage
    OR
    they are flexible and can either start a project from scratch or take up an existing project
    Excuse me, but are you translating ITA to ENG or ENG to ITA? If ITA to ENG, I was saying that Italian sentence is ambiguous, and these two different English translations express its two different interpretations.

But if you are translating ENG to ITA, I'm afraid there no Italian sentence able to cover both meanings!
    A

guyfromleeds

england english
    I am translating Italian to English. I can see the meaning but have a mental block now I have to express it in English. The complete sentence, which is taken from a list of reasons why a client should choose this company, is:

Per l’estrema flessibilità che ci contraddisitngue:
    possiamo partire dal progetto ex novo alla sua esecuzione

debboa

Italia, Italiano
    In my opinion a client should not choose a company that...cannot speak it's own language! :rolleyes:

Anyway, after your integration, your interpretation "they are flexible and can start a project from scratch taking it right through to the final stage" is the only correct one!

"We can cover the full project lifecycle, from concept to execution" could express this (from an Italian! You can work on it better than me! )
    ciao

guyfromleeds

england english
    Could this sentence mean one of two things?

We can start a project from scratch and take it to the final stage

OR

We can either start a project from scratch or at the final stage

< Previous | Next >