damages caused by the ?? unloading or placing

< Previous | Next >

kuleshov

Spain Spanish
I'm trying to write a notice for a lorry driver who goes to London every week. He wants to inform his clients that he may not be held responsible for any damages caused by the unloading or the placing of the merchandise. I am not familiar with the language of formal notices, so, can anyone help me find the proper version of my poor attempts?

My poor attempts:
The lorry driver is not responsible for any damages caused by improper unloading or handling of the merchandise.

The lorry driver may not be liable for damages incurred by improper unloading or handling of the merchandise.

:confused:

Cheers

Last edited:
  • sdgraham

USA English
    This forum cannot offer you any legal help, but from a language standpoint, your post doesn't specify who might be doing the handling or unloading and whose actions you wish to disclaim.

kuleshov

Spain Spanish
    My question is 100% linguistic. I don't know how to use formal language in notices. It's just a lorry driver who wants to post a notice on his lorry because he doesn't speak English and cannot explain this to the people doing the unloading. I repeat, my question is about whether I am using proper English in my suggested notice. So, if you were an English lorry driver, would you find my notice English enough, or just a poor attempt at writing formal English by a Spanish speaker?

sdgraham

USA English
    My question is 100% linguistic. I don't know how to use formal language in notices. It's just a lorry driver who wants to post a notice on his lorry because he doesn't speak English and cannot explain this to the people doing the unloading. I repeat, my question is about whether I am using proper English in my suggested notice. So, if you were an English lorry driver, would you find my notice English enough, or just a poor attempt at writing formal English by a Spanish speaker?
    Proper English is not only putting words together in a prescribed manner. Sentences should make sense and especially, avoid ambiguity.

So, to repeat, are you trying to say that the lorry driver will be unloading the merchandise and if he drops something heavy on somebody's foot and breaks the foot and/or the paid-for merchandise, that he, personally, is not liable?

If not, just what are you trying to say?

kuleshov

Spain Spanish
    The lorry driver never does any unloading or handling of the merchandise; that's why he doesn't want to be held responsible for any damage cause by those who do it. It's a way of warning them to be careful.

Loob

English UK
    Hi kuleshov

I think you need "damage" singular - we use "damages" plural for a financial penalty.
    The lorry driver is not responsible for any damage caused by improper unloading or handling of the merchandise.:tick:

As regards your second option, steer clear of "may not be": that means "maybe he will be, maybe he won't be".... Go for "is not", like in your first option:
    The lorry driver is not liable for damage incurred by improper unloading or handling of the merchandise.:tick:

< Previous | Next >