...damit die ganze Sache nicht auffliegt.

juramic81

Croatian
The sentence goes like this: Er will mich beschützen damit die ganze Sache nicht auffliegt. Does it mean: He wants to protect me to prevent the whole story from disclosure? Meaning, so that the others dont find out what has been going on...
Is the translation ok?

• Arrius

English, UK
    He wants to cover my back (my arse/ass), so that nobody blows the whistle on the whole thing.
    You have the right idea.

Arrius

English, UK
    To woodpeck nie gehört - amerikanisch vielleicht oder wörtlich aus dem Russischen übersetzt? Aber ich auch habe auffliegen in dem anderen Sinne gehört. Um beide Möglichkeiten abzudecken schlage ich folgendes vor
    He wants to cover for me, so that the shit won't hit the fan.
    I like that rather better, though the second part is rather vulgar where the original is not.
    To blow the whistle is indeed to inform, but in the sense of exposing a scandal to the management, the authorities or the public. A few weeks ago this was occurring in the British government every day, now it has slowed down to once or twice a week.

dec-sev

Russian
    To woodpeck nie gehört - amerikanisch vielleicht oder wörtlich aus dem Russischen übersetzt?
    Nein :) Wörtlich aus Russischem wäre "to knock on smb." Aber das ist nicht die einzige Variante ;)
    Die originale Phrase habe ich so verstanden:
    He wants to cover for me, so that the whole thing doesn`t fall through.

< Previous | Next >