Damit gelten die Vorschriften für das Wochenende weiter.

WesołaBiedronka

Polish
On radio:

Die EU-Kommission bestätigt das Fahrverbot für Lastwagen. Damit gelten die Vorschriften für das Wochenende weiter. Auch das Fahverbot für die Nacht bleibt bestehen.

I'm not sure what does the second sentence mean. My best bet is "Along with it (this new ban) weekend regulations are still effective (or maybe remain effective?)"

I suppose the function of weiter is to say that something remains unchanged, right?

• WesołaBiedronka

Polish
    I asked my teacher about it and she gave me slightly different translation. Her translation was something like "because of that ban weekend regulations (them beeing ban on the trucks) will now apply to every day, not just the weekends".

But this seems to ignore the "weiter" plus she was in a hurry so mayby my initial attempt is better nonetheless?

What do you think?

Last edited:

radagasty

Australia, Cantonese
    "Along with it (this new ban) weekend regulations are still effective (or maybe remain effective?)"
    First of all, I should point out that damit here simply means 'therefore', rather than 'along with it'.

"because of that ban weekend regulations (them beeing ban on the trucks) will now apply to every day, not just the weekends".

But this seems to ignore the "weiter"
    Literally, weiter means 'further' or 'wider', and in principle indicates an expansion of the activity concerned. I imagine that is why your teacher proposed an expansion of the ban to include weekdays. IMHO, though, weiter gelten cannot mean something other than 'to remain in force', that is clearly the meaning of the sentence.

WesołaBiedronka

Polish
    @radagasty

So, basically the two first sentences combined would be "EU ratifies the ban on truck, therefore the weekend regulations remain in force"? The only context I can think of in which it makes sense is if for example these weekend regulations were the topic of a debate and the potential introduction of that new ban was supposed to settle it.

Hutschi

I asked my teacher about it and she gave me slightly different translation. Her translation was something like "because of that ban weekend regulations (them beeing ban on the trucks) will now apply to every day, not just the weekends".

But this seems to ignore the "weiter" plus she was in a hurry so mayby my initial attempt is better nonetheless?

What do you think?
    This is wrong what your teacher said in this case. Maybe it was a misunderstanding.
    May be she or he understood: sie wurden ausgeweitet.

Das Wochenende is here a kind of generic noun. It means: For all weekends but not for the other days.
    The rules continue to be applied.
    Weiter is a synonyme to weiterhin.
    @radagasty

So, basically the two first sentences combined would be "EU ratifies the ban on truck, therefore the weekend regulations remain in force"? The only context I can think of in which it makes sense is if for example these weekend regulations were the topic of a debate and the potential introduction of that new ban was supposed to settle it.
    Exactly.

radagasty

Australia, Cantonese
    You may not have quite grasped the logic of the three sentences. What is at stake is not the potential introduction of a new ban, but rather the abolition of an existing one. If the EU Commission had not upheld the ban, it would have been revoked.

Taken together, the three sentences may be translated: 'The EU Commission upholds the lorry driving ban, so the regulations for week-ends continue to apply. The night-time driving ban also remains in force.'

< Previous | Next >