danger - debris falling off the roof, wall

< Previous | Next >

KennyHun

Hungarian
Hi everyone,

What would you expect to see on a sign warning passers-by that pieces of a building's wall might detach and fall off? (If you've ever encountered a sign like this.)
Beware of falling debris?

What prompted this question is a sign I saw on my way home. In Hungarian, the word they use is "plaster" (as in, what you cover the wall with, might be using the wrong word here - it's between the bricks and actual paint) even though I don't think they are necessarily referring to pieces of that falling of, since some other things might come with it. Anything more specific you'd use instead of debris?

Thanks.

• KennyHun

Hungarian
    I hadn't seen your replies, sorry - and thank you, as always. I don't think it could seriously injure anyone, the point is more about making sure your car doesn't get damaged if you park it there. Then again, if you're down on your luck, maybe. But to me, the language used in Hungarian conjures up an image of smaller pieces falling off. (Since I don't see a significantly sized chunk of roughcast falling off.)

JamesM

I suppose "debris" works. I think of debris as quite a collection of things: leaves, twigs, papers, loose shingles, dirt, what have you. I think I would be tempted to say "Beware of flaking plaster".

< Previous | Next >