danger of bad example to innocence of childhood ; distractions and consequent neglect

Irelia20150604

Chinese
The quotation comes from Jane Eyre Chapter 17

Quotation: "...And I was quite right: depend on that: there are a thousand reasons why liaisons between governesses and tutors should never be tolerated a moment in any well-regulated house; firstly--" (said Theodore Ingram's mother)

"“Oh, gracious, mama! Spare us the enumeration! Au reste, we all know them: danger of bad example to innocence of childhood; distractions and consequent neglect of duty on the part of the attached—mutual alliance and reliance; confidence thence resulting—insolence accompanying—mutiny and general blow-up. Am I right, Baroness Ingram, of Ingram Park?" (said Theodore Ingram)

Context: Theodore Ingram and his mother were expressing despite and hatred against his governesses.
===
Hi everyone! I don't quite understand the bold part. I try to analyze it as:
"danger of bad example to innocence of childhood" as "the bad example (referring to his governess and tutor who fell in love) is dangerous to innocence of childhood (innocent child as him)"

"distractions and consequent neglect of duty on the part of the attached mutual alliance and reliance" as "the lovers were distracted (by mutual alliance and reliance) and neglected duty"

"confidence thence resulting - insolence accompanying--mutiny and general blow-up" as "their secret (liaisons) resulted in rebellion and chaos accompanied by insolence"

"The whole sentence" plainly as "The governess and tutor who felt in love were dangerous to innocence of childhood. They distracted by the liaison and consequently neglected duty. Their secret liaison resulted in rebellion and chaos accompanied by insolence ".

Is it correct?

• ewie

English English
    You've got the idea right, Irelia, but not the 'technicalities' of it.
    Theodore is listing general reasons why tutors and governess in general shouldn't form liaisons:
    >>
    "Governesses and tutors who fall in love are dangerous to the innocence of childhood. They are distracted by their liaisons and consequently neglect their duties. Their secret liaisons result in rebellion and chaos accompanied by insolence ".
    P.S. They're expressing spite and hatred towards governesses in general.

< Previous | Next >