Dangle a Bucket Into a Well

ayed

Arabic(Saudi)
Hello, folks.

Suppose that I am standing by a side of a well trying to draw some water.

Does the verb"dangle"fit in the following context :

I am going to dangle the bucket into the well to draw some water.

Thank you in advance.

Ayed's regards

• Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    Yes, drop is used, too.

If you lower the bucket, it goes down slowly, as you let out the rope bit by bit.

If you drop the bucket, you let it fall. You are in trouble if you don't hang on to the rope so that you can pull it up again.

Copyright

American English
    For some reason, I think of dangle as not quite reaching whatever it's dangled above. He dangled the meat in front of the cat. Unless the cat makes a grab for it, he's never going to get it. So a dangling pail is never going to touch water... at least in my well. :)

ayed

Arabic(Saudi)
    Thank you all..
    So, what I understand so far is that the verb"dangle" only gives the sense of hanging doesn't it?

Copyright

American English
    Ah, some back-up for our dry pails, ewie. M-W defines dangle as to hang loosely and usually so as to be able to swing freely. And my Concise Oxford says something similar: hang or cause to hang so as to swing freely. As soon as the pail touches water, it stops swinging freely, so no more dangling. I have to go feed the cat now... the same cat that would rip my finger off if I dangled food in front of him. :)

ayed

Arabic(Saudi)
    Thanks a lot, Copyright, again.
    Indeed, cat tends to scratch you if you tantalize them with delicious food.

Bigote Blanco

For some reason, I think of dangle as not quite reaching whatever it's dangled above. He dangled the meat in front of the cat. Unless the cat makes a grab for it, he's never going to get it. So a dangling pail is never going to touch water... at least in my well. :)
    Copyright, now really, how many wells do you have in Hong Kong.:D

Here, we let the buckets down into our wells.

"Let the bucket all the way down into the well. Don't let it dangle. When it fills up, pull it out.":tick:

The bucket never dangles, unless you begin to let it down and then, half way, stop letting it down. If you do stop it, and it begins to just dangle, you'll need to let it down a little more until it touches the water. As you let it down, we do think it is reasonable to assume it is being "lowered". So, we don't use the word, "lower".
    After it sinks and fills with water, you can then pull it out. You don't need to say raise it up, because if you pull on the rope, there's only one direction it can go-up. We can reasonably assume it's going to rise, so we don't need to say "raise the bucket". It's going to come up if you just pull on the rope.

"Let it down" and "pull it up" work well with wells, and ropes and buckets.

If I were writing a scientific article to be reviewed by my peers, and published in the Journal of Hydrology, I might be forced to write, "In the first part of the experiment, the galvanized, gallon bucked was lowered by a half-inch nylon rope into the well until it gently contacted the surface of the water..." But, I would never Say such a thing in normal conversation.

Bigote

JamesM

I'm not sure who the "we" is in your post or the "here" is, for that matter, but I would say and write, "Lower the bucket." Have I had to deal with wells much? No, but I have had a little experience with them on relatives' farms and ranches. Most of them weren't open wells with a bucket.

Bigote Blanco

JamesM. "We" are: God, Billy, the women, YOU, Lorraine, the Lord, Grannie, and ME.:) "Here" is, for that matter, Everywhere. :)

Only God Himself can let the bucket down to the depths in us ...books.google.com/books?isbn=0156027836... -
    Billy let the bucket down, and he turned the bucket around, and when he picked the bucket up. . . . The others had just dropped the bucket down; ...books.google.com/books?isbn=1578069599
    The women must go back to the well and let the bucket down, and laboriously turn and turn the handle of the windlass till it mounts to the top again. ...books.google.com/books?isbn=055422450X
    You let the bucket down to see how far it goes, and when it gets to the bottom there is a splash as it hits water. You pull the bucket up on the rope, ...www.laughterclubsvic.org/.../
    Lorraine let the bucket down and told him to catch hold. The sound of him losing hold and falling back into the water was much like the sound of a frog ...books.google.com/books?isbn=1425988377
    No, the Lord does not let the bucket down into that dry well; but he fetches the argument for his mercy out of himself: "For I am God. ...www.biblebb.com/files/spurgeon/2447.htm
    Grannie let the bucket down into the well until she heard it strike the fresh spring water with a splash. Then she pulled and pulled on the ...www.gutenberg.org/files/28431/28431

JamesM

But it's just as easy to find examples of "lower the bucket" related to wells:

http://www.tomthumb.org/Tales/tales_wishingwell.shtml
    Without a moment's hesitation, he lowered the bucket and pulled it up again with his wish of gold.

http://www.sacred-texts.com/jud/jftl/jftl08.htm
    She lowered the bucket, but the cord broke and the pail fell to the bottom of the well.

http://gornoldbsnyder.blogspot.com/2009/06/two-posts-in-one-day-you-gotta-be.html
    As we hung out in our house, the rain became incredible again.
    This time when we checked our window well, this is what we saw:
    This is what we did: B lowered a bucket to me, I filled it up, he dumped it out.​

http://www.floydcountyinview.com/cistern.html
    At first we lowered the bucket on a rope to get the water, but later Dad put a well pump on top of it so we didn't have to open it and let dirt fall in. From the cistern we got all the water we needed for cooking, washing, and whatever.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/4898051/Jesus-and-the-Story-of-Jacob-and-Esau
    Jesus lowered the bucket into the well and poured himself a cool cup of well water.

To follow your lead, he, she, Jesus and we say "lower the bucket." :)

The point is that there is more than one way to say this. You are welcome to speak from your experience, but leave room for others to express it in different ways, even from your own country, rather than extending it to God and everybody. ;)

Last edited:

Bigote Blanco

JamesM,

I stand humbly corrected. I also think is is important to learn and enjoy the subtle nuances in languages. It appears, at this point in the discussion, that:

You and Jesus and Allaah lower buckets into wells, while, God, Jesus, and I let them down into wells. Ayed, should now have a clear, and hopefully enjoyable, understanding of the answer to his original question. :)

It appears that in the Islam religion, one also "lowers" the bucket.
    - Allaah cuts jokes with the Ulama of Deoband. One of them went to a well for “Wudu” (Ablution) He lowered the bucket in the well. It came back full of silver. The Holy man said to Allaah: Don’t kid around! I am getting late for prayers. He lowered the bucket in again and this time it came back full of gold. (Risala Tazkara of Darul-uloom Deoband of April 1965)

Ayed- In any part of the world, one may lower the bucket into the well Or One may let the bucket down into the well.

Bigote

< Previous | Next >