dangling modifier (speech)

< Previous | Next >

epistolario

Tagalog
A dangling modifier is criticized in writing, but at least it can still be corrected before releasing the final text. I wonder how people deal with dangling modifiers in speech, which you cannot edit, although you can correct yourself afterward. Are people more forgiving with dangling modifiers in casual and formal speech?

CLINIC (casual speech)​
Patient: A nurse told me that you can take megadoses of vitamin C daily without any problems. Is that true, doc?​
Doctor: I disagree with that nurse's opinion. As a doctor, you should not take more than 500 mg of vitamin C every day.​

CONFERENCE (formal)​
Doctor: There was a nurse who told one of my patients that you can take megadoses of vitamin C daily without any problems. I disagree with that nurse's opinion. As a doctor, you should not take more than 500 mg of vitamin C every day.​

It seems there is no confusion here because it's clear that the patient (you) is not the doctor. Although, I understand that this is the grammatically correct way to write the same sentence:

As a doctor, I disagree with that nurse's opinion. You should not take more than 500 mg of vitamin C every day.​

Do you think this doctor will be condemned by educated native speakers for committing this grammatical error?

• < Previous | Next >