dangling modifier?

< Previous | Next >

lune97

Korean
Hello, everyone !

I wrote a sentence with a phrase as a modifier.

Please read and advise me if the sentence sounds awkward or not. And if it sounds awkward, please help me rewrite the sentence correctly.

"Surprised to see the dog sitting in the middle of the road, looking directly at me, I stopped on the way back home."

Thanks in advance.

• Copyright

American English
    "Surprised to see the dog sitting in the middle of the road and looking directly at me, I stopped in my tracks."

"I stopped on the way back home" is odd. You're suddenly telling us about your journey, when you have focused our attention on the unusual behavior of the dog.

There was no dangling modifier, however.

Franco-filly

English - Southern England
    From your sentence "I stopped on the way back home" does not make it clear that you were travelling home when you saw the dog. It even suggests that you stopped later in the day.
    Cross-posted

velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    The phrase "on the way back home", which tells us when and where this incident happened, needs to come first:

On the way back home, surprised to see the dog sitting in the middle of the road looking directly at me, I stopped.

Edit: if you are worried about "looking" seeming to modify road you could add "and", but I don't think it's necessary: the dog was sitting looking at me.

< Previous | Next >