Danish: Det må du selv om

pellefygert

Norwegian
Hello,

I have come across the phrase "Det må du selv om".
I think it means something like "Decide for yourself," or "It's up to you", og perhaps "you have only yourself to blame" or "that's your own problem".

Pellefygert

• bicontinental

English (US), Danish, bilingual
    I have come across the phrase "Det må du selv om".
    I think it means something like "Decide for yourself," or "It's up to you", og perhaps "you have only yourself to blame" or "that's your own problem".

Hi pellefygert,

Some, but not all of your translations work…for the following reasons.

Without further context I would translate “det må du selv om” into, that’s up to you. The speaker leaves it up to another individual to make a choice or a decision. Variations on the English translation would be, that’s for you to decide, that’s your choice …as you suggested above.

But… you only have yourself to blame, i.e. it’s your own fault is about assigning blame. The Danish language has similar expressions like, ”det er din egen skyld”, or ”det har du selv været ude om”.

The last of your suggestions, that’s your problem, implies that the speaker essentially washes his hands and wants nothing to do with a given situation…”det er dit (eget) problem”.

Best,
    Bic.

pellefygert

Norwegian
    Hi pellefygert,

Some, but not all of your translations work…for the following reasons.

Without further context I would translate “det må du selv om” into, that’s up to you. The speaker leaves it up to another individual to make a choice or a decision. Variations on the English translation would be, that’s for you to decide, that’s your choice …as you suggested above.

But… you only have yourself to blame, i.e. it’s your own fault is about assigning blame. The Danish language has similar expressions like, ”det er din egen skyld”, or ”det har du selv været ude om”.

The last of your suggestions, that’s your problem, implies that the speaker essentially washes his hands and wants nothing to do with a given situation…”det er dit (eget) problem”.

Best,
    Bic.
    Thank you.
    Would "suit yourself" or "have it your way" work too? "Gjør som du vil." in Norwegian? Could you use "det må du selv om" in the context that you want to imply that someone is about to do something stupid?
    Somehow there's not much in "det må du selv om" to give you a clue about what the expression means.

Regards,
    Pellefygert

bicontinental

English (US), Danish, bilingual
    Somehow there's not much in "det må du selv om" to give you a clue about what the expression means.

True...and the translations I've suggested above are used in a more neutral context...it's up to you, your choice. What was the specific context in this case?

add:
    In a different scenario it might indicate fine, have it your way, do as you please; for example, if you have tried to talk someone out of doing something you consider completely stupid, you might end the conversation with an exasperated “Ok, det må du selv om- gør som du vil!” The tone of voice and the context make all the difference :)

Bic.

Last edited:

pellefygert

Norwegian
    True...and the translations I've suggested above are used in a more neutral context...it's up to you, your choice. What was the specific context in this case?

Bic.
    The police detective responding to a suspect who declines to answer further questions, after having been warned that in that case, he would be arrested.

I will go with "gjør som du vil", I think.

Thanks a lot!

I agree with bicontinental although using "det må du selv om" in the context of "that's your own problem" doesn't sound all wrong to me all be it a bit outdated. In modern Danish you'd more likely use "Det må du selv ligge og rode med" for that purpose.

< Previous | Next >