Danish: lurede

pellefygert

Norwegian
Hi!

A Danish novel contains this phrase: "de mange sirener, som lurede i natten".
"Lurede" I know could mean "lurked" or "wondered", but that doesn't seem to fit with "sirener", sirens.
Can "lurede" mean some form of high sound or something similar?

Thanks,

pellefygert

• pellefygert

Norwegian
    In Greek mythology, the Sirens were dangerous yet beautiful creatures. They sure could be found lurking, waiting for a suitable victim.
    I didn't even think of that. But in this case it is most certainly not the mythological creatures, but police car sirens.
    Thank you for giving me the opportunity to provide context.

bicontinental

English (US), Danish, bilingual
    Hi!

A Danish novel contains this phrase: "de mange sirener, som lurede i natten".
    "Lurede" I know could mean "lurked" or "wondered", but that doesn't seem to fit with "sirener", sirens.
    Can "lurede" mean some form of high sound or something similar?

Thanks,

pellefygert
    Hi,

The sirens lurking in the dark….I’d say this is bordering on figurative speech. Sirens are of course used to alert people to danger or emergencies, unpleasant events like air-raids, tornados, accidents etc. and if sirens sound frequently and throughout the night you could say that they are lurking in the dark… they are ‘out there’ somewhere in the night, concealed by the dark just waiting to go off when you least expect it.

Below is a link to an online Danish dictionary, ordnet.dk where you can read more about the usage of the verb at lure. You may want to check out definition number 2: ”gemme sig for hvert øjeblik at kunne bryde frem; true med at bryde frem ofte om noget ubehageligt”.
    It doesn’t refer to the high pitched sound of the sirens. http://ordnet.dk/ddo/ordbog?query=lure&tab=for

Bic.

pellefygert

Norwegian
    Hi,

The sirens lurking in the dark….I’d say this is bordering on figurative speech. Sirens are of course used to alert people to danger or emergencies, unpleasant events like air-raids, tornados, accidents etc. and if sirens sound frequently and throughout the night you could say that they are lurking in the dark… they are ‘out there’ somewhere in the night, concealed by the dark just waiting to go off when you least expect it.

Below is a link to an online Danish dictionary, ordnet.dk where you can read more about the usage of the verb at lure. You may want to check out definition number 2: ”gemme sig for hvert øjeblik at kunne bryde frem; true med at bryde frem ofte om noget ubehageligt”.
    It doesn’t refer to the high pitched sound of the sirens. http://ordnet.dk/ddo/ordbog?query=lure&tab=for

Bic.
    Brilliant! I am aware of that dictionary, and use it a lot. I did so in this case, too. But somehow that interpretation escaped me. It is not the hiding, it is the threat of coming out of hiding, of course! Thank you for pointing it out to me.

Regards,

pellefygert

< Previous | Next >