Danish: One life

Vc1230

English
Dear Danish speaker,
Hope you are well.
I am considering getting an 'etliv' tattoo. This means 'one life' right? What I want to remind myself is life is precious and we only get one chance so seize all opportunities & cherish every moment. :) I would like to confirm if 'etliv ' emcompass this meaning. Because sometimes direct Google translation may not mean the same as English.

Your feedback are very much appreciated Thank you kindly. Tak! :)

• Segorian

Icelandic & Swedish
    First, it’s two words: et liv.

Second, et (the neuter form of en) is both the number ‘one’ and the indefinite article ‘a’. Therefore, et liv can mean both ‘a life’ and ‘one life’. To avoid the ambiguity, you would place an acute accent on the e and write:

Ét liv

Alternatively, you could emulate the writer Sara Blædel, who named one of her novels Kun ét liv (note the accent), a title that was translated into English as Only One Life.

Vc1230

English
    Dear Segorian, thank you very much for your reply. I have been wondering how to differentiate between et as 'a' and 'one'. I also LOVE the reference to the novel "Only One Life". I will look up the novel. Thanks a million Segorian Much appreciated.

Sepia

High German/Danish
    First, it’s two words: et liv.

Second, et (the neuter form of en) is both the number ‘one’ and the indefinite article ‘a’. Therefore, et liv can mean both ‘a life’ and ‘one life’. To avoid the ambiguity, you would place an acute accent on the e and write:

Ét liv

Alternatively, you could emulate the writer Sara Blædel, who named one of her novels Kun ét liv (note the accent), a title that was translated into English as Only One Life.

I, however, would consider that superfluous. "One Life" is just as boiled down in English. "Ét liv" will do just fine, especially if the inker takes care that one can read it as Ét liv and not "Et liv", just like also suggested.

< Previous | Next >