Danish: onset plossives

Discussion in 'Nordic Languages' started by kuermo, Dec 31, 2017.

Tags:
  1. kuermo New Member

Español, España
    In every place I've checked, I've found that in syllable onset /b, d, ɡ/ contrast with /p, t, k/ in the aspiration of the latter, being both sets voiceless.

What surprises me is the use of [b̥, d̥, ɡ̊] for the sound transcription of the /b, d, g/ set instead of simply [p, t, k]. Is this for any reason?

Last edited: Dec 31, 2017
  2. Sepia Senior Member

High German/Danish
    First: I am not sure that it is so easy to explain WHY certain words or syllables are pronounced the way they are.
    Second: I am not even sure I aggree with you in what you say. There have always been disputes as to what speakers of Romance languages and Germanic languages consider a proper p t or k.
    Third: Can you provide us with a couple of examples - then, maybe, I might aggree at least partly. I might - no promise.

3. Svenke

Svenke Senior Member

Hordaland
    Norwegian
    I think the reason is simply that one wants to avoid the use of [p t k], since those could be confused with the ordinary letters <p k t> whose pronunciations are usually aspirated [ph kh] and affricate [ts]. (Don't know how to write the h and the s small and raised ...)