Danish, Swedish, Norwegain: en:debraining fr:décervelage

monpauvrelieu

Français - France
God kväll!
From Alfred Jarry, I cannot find out how the title «La chanson du décervelage» / «The debraining song» has been translated to Swedish, and I will anyways have the same problem when I will get the same title in the Danish and Norvegian versions of my personnal website.
In any attempt to get a translation from an oline translator or dictionary, either the server doesn't know the word, either it understands the meaning «Lavage de cerveau», «Brainwashing», «Hjärntvätt». But in the song, the brain is removed, not washed.
Any suggestion? Or the exact title if any knows?
Thank you.

• sjiraff

English
    Hi Monpauvrelueu,

When you say the brain is "removed" and not washed I think it's because they are both figurative and neither literally mean brains are being removed or washed, but they both convey the same (or at least as close as possible) to having free-thought removed from one's head.

Maybe in French you don't call it "brainwashing" but "brain removing"?

Either way "debraining" in English is a made up word you would hear in cartoons, but the closest real word would be "brainwashing" or "hjernevasking" in Norwegian. Maybe if you wanted to translate it literally you'd say "hjernefjerning"?

monpauvrelieu

Français - France
    « hjernefjerning » is perfect. In the song, there is a description where the brain is really removed with a machine, I perceive it like a sort of parody of the guillotine executions.
    Tak!

AutumnOwl

-
    Swedish
    Swedish: perhaps hjärnborttagning or hjärnborttagande, in the same way as hårborttagning means hair removal.

Sepia

High German/Danish
    "Hjernefjerning" er fint. Hvis nogen er extremt dum, siger man ogsaa, at han er "hjernedoed".

monpauvrelieu

Français - France
    «Hjernefjerning», thanks. I will use that for the Danish version. In the song, condemned usurers have their brain litterally cut off, and it is what the family went for to see. It looks to me like a parody of the guillotine, at this time it was also a show for the family, at the same place than a theater piece or a circus. Strange times...

Sepia

High German/Danish
    I'd say "fjerning" is Norwegian. The Danish equivalent would be "fjernelse".

Bic
    That would probably be more correct. "Fjerning" is also used a lot, although dictionaries don't seem to like it - for some reason it is mainly used in compound words like "hårfjerning", "tatto-fjernng". That is probably the reason why I still think it sounds OK in "hjernefjerning".

But I could also go for "hjernefjernelse".

< Previous | Next >