dans la rigole (bowling)

Discussion in 'French-English Vocabulary / Vocabulaire Français-Anglais' started by sophiedu93, Aug 1, 2012.

  1. sophiedu93 New Member


    You have so many words when you have one or 2!!

    In the context of a bowling game, how do you say lancer la balle dans la rigole? into the rill, the rivulet, the channel??

    Thank you for your help...

  2. Peabody Hulk

    Peabody Hulk Member

    Montréal, Québec
    English - Canada
    In English it's called a "gutterball".
    I think the most common way to say it would be "to get a gutterball", but you could also say "to throw a gutterball".
  3. misterk Moderator

    Boston, MA, USA
    ...my ball always goes into the gutter
    ...my ball always ends up in the gutter
  4. Lisa LaFana

    Lisa LaFana Member

    Maine, USA
    English - USA
    Or perhaps:
    "When I go bowling, I get nothing but gutter balls."
    Note that wiktionary prefers "gutter ball" as two words, unhyphenated.
  5. Wordsmyth

    Wordsmyth Senior Member

    Location: Mostly SW France
    Native language: English (BrE)
    And it's called a gutter, sophie, because it resembles a gutter=gouttière or gutter=caniveau. (Rather less poetic than a rill or rivulet.;))


Share This Page