Dans l'attente d'une bonne reception...

vestar

Spanish - Argentina
Good afternoon,

I am translating a document from French where the following end of letter is used:

"Dans l’attente d’une bonne réception de cette candidature, je vous présente, Madame, mes salutations distinguées."

How can I say that in English? I have tried with the following phrase:

"I hope that
my application has a good reception. I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Respectfully yours.." :confused:

Thank you in advance for your help!

Vestar

• delph1ne

French
    I'm not sure the first part of your translation is necessary, the end could be enough:

"I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Respectfully yours"

The first sentence about the reception of the application in French is totally part of this form of address, its meaning is not that important.

vestar

Spanish - Argentina
    Thank you delph1ne. I know that it is part of the form of French address, and is not commonly used in English, but since I thought that the writer's intention was important, I would like to know if it can be said anyway.

What do you say?

tobe-ann

French
    My try : "In the waiting of a positive response, I present you, Madame, my best wishes."

Last edited:

delph1ne

French
    Thank you delph1ne. I know that it is part of the form of French address, and is not commonly used in English, but since I thought that the writer's intention was important, I would like to know if it can be said anyway.

What do you say?
    hmm unfortunately I don't know... We need a native English speaker!

tobe-ann, your sentence looks like a literal translation from French to English, are you sure this form of address actually exists??

vestar

Spanish - Argentina
    Yes tobe-ann, it sounds completely literal... Thanks for trying!

It's true delph1ne, we need a native speaker!!! Thanks for your help too.

tobe-ann

French
    J'ai vu "best wishes" dans une autre conversation du forum. C'est cependant un peu moins formel que "salutations distinguées". "Sincerely yours" aurait pu fonctionner également, je crois. Pour le reste de la phrase, j'admets que c'est une traduction litérale. Ce que je voulais faire ressortir était "positive response".

< Previous | Next >