dar un paseo por...

• Alpha0ne

England English/Spanish
    Hello Magg,
    In my UK/English/NW, it sounds fine...You can also say: "Go for a stroll in/round park, city, countryside...

stroll

verb (past strolled, past participle strolled, present participle stroll·ing, 3rd person present singular strolls)

1. transitive and intransitive verb walk unhurriedly: to walk along somewhere in a slow unhurried way, especially for enjoyment

2. intransitive verb do effortlessly: to do, obtain, or achieve something in a casual effortless way
    she strolled through the exam

noun (plural strolls)
    leisurely walk: a slow leisurely walk for pleasure
    went for a stroll in the park

Artrella

Banned
    BA
    Spanish-Argentina
    Alpha0ne said:
    Hello Magg,
    In my UK/English/NW, it sounds fine...You can also say: "Go for a stroll in/round park, city, countryside...

stroll

verb (past strolled, past participle strolled, present participle stroll·ing, 3rd person present singular strolls)

1. transitive and intransitive verb walk unhurriedly: to walk along somewhere in a slow unhurried way, especially for enjoyment

2. intransitive verb do effortlessly: to do, obtain, or achieve something in a casual effortless way
    she strolled through the exam

noun (plural strolls)
    leisurely walk: a slow leisurely walk for pleasure
    went for a stroll in the park

Hi Alpha0ne!! So it is correct to say "in" ??? :p

Alpha0ne

England English/Spanish
    Hi Art,
    I have been brought up with it, perhaps it's not "proper English" :confused: but in every day jargon it sounds fine to me. Let's see if anyone else gives their opinion later.
    Cheers! :D
    A1

paultucker79

UK,English
    Alpha0ne said:
    Hi Art,
    I have been brought up with it, perhaps it's not "proper English" :confused: but in every day jargon it sounds fine to me. Let's see if anyone else gives their opinion later.
    Cheers! :D
    A1
    walk "in" the park,

walk "around" the city sound correct to me. Going for " a walk in the city" doesn't have quite the right ring to it.

cristóbal

EEUU/Inglés
    Artrella said:
    Hi Alpha0ne!! So it is correct to say "in" ??? :p
    You mean is "a stroll in the park" correct?

¡Por supuesto!

The thing is, if you say "we went for a stroll/walk around the park" you're inadvertantly advertising that you actually walked AROUND the park... meaning you either went all the way around the outside of it, or you covered just about the whole park. I mean, that's very precise though, because if someone said to me "around" or "in", I wouldn't make that distinction. They basically have the same meaning, even though technically each one is different, just as "A stroll through the park" would mean the same in regular speech, even though it really means you were walking already and went through the park as part of your route, not that your entire walk was in the park.

At any rate, around/in/through all pretty much work fine. Hope that doesn't confuse more. :)

Artrella

Banned
    BA
    Spanish-Argentina
    cristóbal said:
    You mean is "a stroll in the park" correct?

¡Por supuesto!

The thing is, if you say "we went for a stroll/walk around the park" you're inadvertantly advertising that you actually walked AROUND the park... meaning you either went all the way around the outside of it, or you covered just about the whole park. I mean, that's very precise though, because if someone said to me "around" or "in", I wouldn't make that distinction. They basically have the same meaning, even though technically each one is different, just as "A stroll through the park" would mean the same in regular speech, even though it really means you were walking already and went through the park as part of your route, not that your entire walk was in the park.

At any rate, around/in/through all pretty much work fine. Hope that doesn't confuse more. :)

No, my question was referred to "city".

I understand "stroll in the park" because you are in the park actually.

But it didn't sound good to me to say "take a walk in the city" but rather "around the city".

Is it ok? Thx Cristóbal! :p

cristóbal

EEUU/Inglés
    Artrella said:

I understand "stroll in the park" because you are in the park actually.

But it didn't sound good to me to say "take a walk in the city" but rather "around the city".

Is it ok? Thx Cristóbal! :p
    Sí, está bien. :)
    The only difference is that "in the city" might suggest that you weren't from the city and that you were visiting. However, if I said "we took a walk around the city" to me implies that we covered a lot of ground while walking. So... I dunno. I would say use "around" in most cases when it comes to the city, but there's nothing wrong with "in" (after all, you're in the city actually too).

Magg

Spain / Spanish
    Artrella said:
    That's it, Art. I was also doubtful about in/around concernig the city.
    From our forum-mates I guess both can be perfectly used.

I also want to thank you all for the extra information you gave, which I always find far interesting.

Cheers
    Magg

< Previous | Next >