daring courage

< Previous | Next >

郭巨路

Chinese
hi all.

I read this in my English text book:" Hadassah, or Esther, saves her people from destruction by their enemies by employing her daring courage." Is " daring courage" good

English? If so, can we say" a beautiful beauty ", or " stupid fool" and the like ? One more question: the sentence reads just uncomfortable to me becasue of the two"by"s.

Is this sentence bad English ?

Thanks in advance.

• pob14

American English
    Courage isn't necessarily daring. In fact, "daring" (in my opinion) goes well beyond courage, meaning something very near "recklessness." (And "stupid fool" sounds fine too, although "beautiful beauty" doesn't.)

Bobbum

Courage isn't necessarily daring. In fact, "daring" (in my opinion) goes well beyond courage, meaning something very near "recklessness." (And "stupid fool" sounds fine too, although "beautiful beauty" doesn't.)
    We call people stupid fools all the time.
    the two bys sound ok to me.
    We often use adjectives similar to the nouns they amplify to strengthen them, like "reckless abandon." In "beautiful beauty" they're just too similar.

Loob

English UK
    I'm sorry to go against the trend (and I agree that "stupid fools" works).

But "daring courage" just sounds silly to me, not least since there's a noun "daring", which would have worked much better than "daring courage" in the original sentence - though, to be honest, I'd have preferred simply "courage".

Parla

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    I vote with Loob: I think "daring courage" is very poor writing (and I wonder if the textbook was written by a native speaker of English).

< Previous | Next >