dark clouds of winged thunder

navidsalar

Persian
Hi everybody,

I am reading an article called "unbreakable wonder" by Anwar Accawi. The article is about his memoir from childhood. In one of the paragraphs he talks about the invasion of locusts to his village. I do not understand the following sentences, especially the bold part. I would appreciate if anyone helps me.

"That was the year of the locusts, when a hot wind from the desert blew in dark clouds of winged thunder that hid the very face of the sun. It got dark in the middle of the day."

Thanks

• heypresto

English - England
    The swarms of locusts were so big and dense that the resembled dark clouds, hiding, or blocking out the sun. They would also have made a loud humming, buzzing sound which he describes as winged thunder.

navidsalar

Persian
    The swarms of locusts were so big and dense that the resembled dark clouds, hiding, or blocking out the sun. They would also have made a loud humming, buzzing sound which he describes as winged thunder.
    Thank you heypresto
    what does "winged" mean here?

heypresto

English - England
    It means 'having wings', and in a sense, 'flying'. I think he's saying, rather poetically, that the thunder is flying, or 'on the wing', and at the same time referring to the noise caused by the insects' wings.

navidsalar

Persian
    It means 'having wings', and in a sense, 'flying'. I think he's saying, rather poetically, that the thunder is flying, or 'on the wing', and at the same time referring to the noise caused by the insects' wings.
    Thank you heypresto, it was a great help.

< Previous | Next >