darse por advertido...

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Vocabulary / Vocabulario Español-Inglés' started by hank_t14, Apr 26, 2011.

1. hank_t14 Senior Member

Lima, Perú
    Perú - Spanish
    Hi there...(hope you had a happy easter)

Los grandes capitalistas nunca quisieron darse por advertido que tenian que cumplir leyes igualitarias, y explotaron a sus hermanos ....

The big capitalists never wanted to be aware of having to abide the egalitarian laws, but they exploited their brothers anyway...

I need some assistance...please :)

2. Chris K Senior Member

Tacoma WA, US
    English / US
    Tal vez "The big capitalists were never willing to accept having to comply with / abide by ...."

3. godryk Member

Spanish - Spain
    I'm not sure wether you are looking for advice for the english sentence or the spanish one.

4. hank_t14 Senior Member

Lima, Perú
    Perú - Spanish
    I think it'd be better if I showed you the complete text (this is an extract of a series of laws of a new science called 'celestial science')

1989.- ​
    DURANTE LA PRUEBA DE LA VIDA, LA BESTIA SIEMPRE VIÓ LA PAJA EN EL OJO AJENO, Y NO VEÍA LA VIGA EN EL PROPIO; SIEMPRE CRITICABA Y CALUMNIABA, A OTRAS FILOSOFÍAS DE VIDA; LA EXTRAÑA BESTIA, NUNCA QUISO DARSE POR ADVERTIDA; NUNCA QUISO RECONOCER, QUE POR CULPA DE ELLA, MILLONES SUFRÍAN; ESTA EXTRAÑA MANERA DE ELUDIR SU PROPIA RESPONSABILIDAD, LO PAGA LA EXTRAÑA BESTIA; LO PAGAN LOS QUE MÁS SE DEJARON INFLUENCIAR POR EL ORO, EN LA PRUEBA DE LA VIDA.-

How would you translate the redded phrase?

5. Chris K Senior Member

Tacoma WA, US
    English / US
    Perhaps "never deigned to take notice" or "never wanted to listen to the warning."

6. hank_t14 Senior Member

Lima, Perú
    Perú - Spanish
    Yes dear Chris K...yes....'never deigned to take notice' is just what I was looking for. I thank you very much. (take care)

7. aztlaniano

aztlaniano Senior Member

Lavapiestán, Madrid
    English (Aztlán, US sector)
    Is the text in the first post to be disregarded, then?

8. Chris K Senior Member

Tacoma WA, US
    English / US
    Minor spelling correction.

9. hank_t14 Senior Member

Lima, Perú
    Perú - Spanish
    Yes aztlaniano...the first text was a way I simplified the main idea. Thanks a lot for your suggestion. :D