Dashed in pieces/ripped open

< Previous | Next >

disintegrators

Turkish
I was reading a book and I ran into this following sentence and could't understand it. " They shall fall by the sword, their little ones shall be dashed in pieces, and their pregnant women ripped open."

I couldn't understand the meaning of "dashed in pieces" and "ripped open". I guess former one is like "break into pieces" but I have no idea about latter one.

• kentix

English - U.S.
    They shall fall by the sword = they will die in battle against an army using swords

Their little ones (babies) will be dashed in pieces = their babies will be thrown to the ground (and perhaps stomped on) to kill them

their pregnant women ripped open = the enemy will use their swords to cut open their pregnant women to kill them and their babies

Myridon

English - US

PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    I was reading a book
    You were reading the Bible...Hosea 13:16 :rolleyes:

Always give the source. :thumbsup:

To dash - To strike something forcefully against a solid object.
    To rip open - to violently cut something (in this case, the abdomen) so that it opens.

disintegrators

Turkish
    You were reading the Bible...Hosea 13:16 :rolleyes:

Always give the source. :thumbsup:

To dash - To strike something forcefully against a solid object.
    To rip open - to violently cut something (in this case, the abdomen) so that it opens.
    Actually, it was a history book and one chapter was about religion and prophets. Truth be told, I was so stuck in understanding the meaning of the word that I didn't even realise it was from the Bible until you told me. Thank you so much everyone btw.

< Previous | Next >