d'asseoir son positionnement

pinkiewinkie

French
Dear Wordreferencers,

I'm having troubles translating the following phrase:

"L'association avec des partenaires externes à forte notoriété permet à la marque d'asseoir son positionnement sur le segment du luxe"

The context is definitely marketing oriented

My proposition:
The association with external partners with a strong brand image enables the brand to nurture its positioning on the luxury segment.

Berk...
need your help
Merciii

Last edited:
  • gillyfr

English - England
    I'd say, "to reinforce its positioning". WR gives a translation of "establish", but this word could also be translated as "fonder", whereas in this case, the implication is that the brand already existed in the market but the cross-marketing enabled it to become more established. Hence, "reinforce".

gillyfr

English - England
    Actually, Boileau is right. In this case, it should be "position". "Positioning" (and "positionnement") is a strategic decision about how to present the brand to the market, and is the culmination of the 4 Ps (etc.).

David, I still think "establish" is too ambiguous with its other meaning of "create".

david314

American English
    Actually, Boileau is right. In this case, it should be "position". "Positioning" (and "positionnement") is a strategic decision about how to present the brand to the market, and is the culmination of the 4 Ps (etc.).

David, I still think "establish" is too ambiguous with its other meaning of "create".
    I don't see, from our French source text, proof that this brand was already established. Might you be making an assumption? :)

to establish is a primary definition of Merriam-Webster's F.E.

gillyfr

English - England
    You're right, I am making an assumption, based on usage. Asseoir means that something was precarious or not taken for granted, and that it is now being reinforced. Essentially, this is the exact same meaning as the English establish, however, the English is most often used to simply mean create, and that is why I would prefer to use a less ambiguous word.

Aoyama

français Clodoaldien
    "Positionnement" est de l'hexagonal prétentieux pour notre bon vieux mot "position".
    That is very true.
    I'd go even further and say that "asseoir un positionnement" is worse.
    Affirmer or réaffirmer (context) sa position/place , which finds its way in English easily ...
    It is true that "positionnement" has a "marketing taste" somewhere, but better avoid those "tics de langage" ...

gillyfr

English - England
    That is very true.
    I'd go even further and say that "asseoir un positionnement" is worse.
    Affirmer or réaffirmer (context) sa position/place , which finds its way in English easily ...
    It is true that "positionnement" has a "marketing taste" somewhere, but better avoid those "tics de langage" ...

Positioning and its French counterpart, positionnement, doesn't just have a "marketing taste", it is an entirely different word from position. As you rightly point out, Aoyama, one could use position and place interchangeably (in French - in English, position is the only possibility when referring to the market), and, in fact, in this context, it is the correct word.

However, when referring to the set of attributes relating to how a company decides to strategically position its product or service in the market (to whom it is targeted, at what price, in what packaging, in what stores it appears, and how it is promoted), positioning is the correct word.

Position, on the other hand, is a measure of where the product or market stands: no.1 brand in terms of sales, no.1 brand in terms of awareness, no.1 value brand (where there are several different strata in the market), etc.

It seems to me that those who are not aware of the technicalities of a particular subject should avoid commenting on it in such a categoric way, so that other persons frequenting the forum will not be misled. Thank you.

pinkiewinkie

French
    thanks again to all of you for your replies
    Just to clarify, I was definitely talking about brand strategic positionning
    and what I had in mind concerning "asseoir son positionnement" meant "renforcer, confirmer" and could not be translated by "create" or "establish" since the brand is alrealdy positioned on the luxury market...

So Im quite satisfied with the translation "to reinforce its positioning"

david314

American English
    thanks again to all of you for your replies
    Just to clarify, I was definitely talking about brand strategic positionning
    and what I had in mind concerning "asseoir son positionnement" meant "renforcer, confirmer" and could not be translated by "create" or "establish" since the brand is alrealdy positioned on the luxury market...

So Im quite satisfied with the translation "to reinforce its positioning"
    In order to convey this nuance (of reinforcing a brand that has already been established) we might, more precisely, wish to say: to firmly establish its ...

-It seems as if gillyfr's initial understanding was the correct one. :)

Last edited: