Dastkhosh / دستخوش

Membre

English/Français
Hello / Dorud!
I was wondering how a word such as “dastkhosh” came to acquire the notion of undergoing or being subject to, considering that it literally means “good-hand”? Could anyone provide any information or speculation as to how this semantic change happened? Thanks in advance! 😃

• mannoushka

Iran/Persian
    Hi. Goodhand is spoken as an interjection in order to praise, to express gratitude, and to wish good luck, all combined in the one word, more or less.

I am only guessing here, but I think dastkhosh also being an actual token, a little prize, from which is then derived 'giving dastkhosh' meaning handing out a token in a ready and easy manner, may have led to the token itself standing, metaphorically speaking, for anything or anyone that is an object of senseless rough treatment. Hence 'to become dastkhosh' (of something) is to be passively undergoing (something).
    Example:
    She has been taken over by delusions.
    او دستخوش اوهام (شده) است

PersoLatin

UK
    Persian - Iran
    I was wondering how a word such as “dastkhosh” came to acquire the notion of undergoing or being subject to, considering that it literally means “good-hand”?
    That definition is close but 'pleasing in the hand' or خوشایند ‏در ‏دست is closer, so the primary meaning of دستخوش is بازیچه, something that can be played with the hand, e.g. prayer beads, marbles or putty and that (meaning) has been extended to 'being manipulated or influenced'.

A closely linked word is خوش‌دست which is used for something that feels right in the hand/handles well/comfortable to work with, it is used for a variety of items e.g. hand tools, mobile phones, pens, remote controls, or a lighter, basically ‘ergonomically designed’

Last edited:

rarabara

Türkçe (Turkish)
    Hello / Dorud!
    I was wondering how a word such as “dastkhosh” came to acquire the notion of undergoing or being subject to, considering that it literally means “good-hand”? Could anyone provide any information or speculation as to how this semantic change happened? Thanks in advance! 😃
    in kurdish, yes. but not a common usage with this form. we use "dest vekiri" (دست ڤەکڤی ) instead (for generousity).( (دست وكري ) with arabic letters.) and "dest - e - delal " for the use you described.` دست دلال`

Membre

English/Français
    in kurdish, yes. but not a common usage with this form. we use "dest vekiri" (دست ڤەکڤی ) instead (for generousity).( (دست وكري ) with arabic letters.) and "dest - e - delal " for the use you described.` دست دلال`
    Is that in Kurmanji? Which dialect do you speak? Persian has the semantically similar “dast-o-del bâz” (hand-and-heart open). My favourite bahuvrihi compound in Kurdish though is “bêhnfireh” (breath-wide = patient). 😃
    My post was about the meaning of “dastkhosh” in the sense of “undergoing” or “being subject(ed) to sth”.

Membre

English/Français
    Yes, i speak the dialect spoken in south-east anatolian region but can understand almost all of them.

Awesome! That’s pretty close to the dialects I’ve been the most exposed to, so Mardin and Behdînî. Glad to meet a Kurdish speaker, mala te ava bi!

rarabara

Türkçe (Turkish)
    Awesome! That’s pretty close to the dialects I’ve been the most exposed to, so Mardin and Behdînî. Glad to meet a Kurdish speaker, mala te ava bi!
    😊😊🌹 Ğedi ște razi be 😊🌷