... data linking parenting practices tapped by the CFQ to...

shiningstar

turkish
Hi,

For example, research conducted with longitudinal data linking parenting practices tapped by the CFQ to children's subsequent eating and weight status is needed to determine whether CFQ subscales, in addition to reflecting parental reaction to the child's weight status, predict and are causally involved in increases in child weight status
This sentence is from a research paper about child-feeding and it doesn't seem correct. According to Merriam-Webster one of definitions of "tap" is to connect something with another (e.g. one pipe to another pipe) but then why to use "linking" too? It's confusing:(

Last edited:
  • preppie

American English (Mostly MidAtlantic)
    I read it that they tapped (looked at or sourced) the data that links parenting practices to children's eating and weight. But they found the most difficult way to say that.

shiningstar

turkish
    Indeed, CFQ (child-feeding questionnaire) categorizes the parental practices and the sentence, in my opinion, is missing a "the" between "linking" and "parental practices...". Thank you OKtoTry and preppie.

panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    For example, research conducted with longitudinal data linking parenting practices (that have been tapped by the CFQ) to children's subsequent eating and weight status is needed to determine whether CFQ subscales, in addition to reflecting parental reaction to the child's weight status, predict and are causally involved in increases in child weight status

What a dreadful sentence!

I guess that the red text is a relative clause modifying "parenting practice".
    These are parenting practices that have been identified, about which we now have data, as a result of looking at the responses to the Child Feeding Questionnaire.

shiningstar

turkish
    It's been really difficult to understand the whole sentence but I did it with your help. Thanks everyone :)

< Previous | Next >